Planning on building 2,000gal next year, stocking?

mybirthdateisfake

Exodon
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2023
Indonesia
Next year I have big plans for a 2,000gal pond. It will be 19x8x2ft (or something around that). I've got a stocking in mind but I need more fish to fill this pond.

My stocking idea so far:
1 Giraffe catfish
1 Clarias batrachus
1 Clown knife fish
2 Florida gar

Any other fish that could go well with these fish?

My friend is keeping a red tail catfish and his pond is only 500 gallons. Could my stocking ideas work with a red tail?

Extra note: Don't recommend snake-like fish, my dad hates snakes and doen't want anything that looks like a snake. No bichirs, snakeheads (except species like Pleuropthalma that look less like snakes), not even fish with snake-like patterns (such as Perrunichtys perruno when they're young).

Extra extra note: Check tokopedia.com (Indonesian online shopping website) if the fish you're recommending is available to buy here.

Reactions: SilverArowanaBoi

SilverArowanaBoi

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Sep 21, 2023
Houston, Texas
Next year I have big plans for a 2,000gal pond. It will be 19x8x2ft (or something around that). I've got a stocking in mind but I need more fish to fill this pond.

My stocking idea so far:
1 Giraffe catfish
1 Clarias batrachus
1 Clown knife fish
2 Florida gar

Any other fish that could go well with these fish?

My friend is keeping a red tail catfish and his pond is only 500 gallons. Could my stocking ideas work with a red tail?

Extra note: Don't recommend snake-like fish, my dad hates snakes and doen't want anything that looks like a snake. No bichirs, snakeheads (except species like Pleuropthalma that look less like snakes), not even fish with snake-like patterns (such as Perrunichtys perruno when they're young).

Extra extra note: Check tokopedia.com (Indonesian online shopping website) if the fish you're recommending is available to buy here.
I don't think a Clown Knife would be a good pond fish. Because they are so thin, they would be hard to see from above (assuming this is how the pond will be). I think a better alternative would be a Silver Arowana.

As for the redtail, so far what stocking you have mentioned wouldn't be great. I personally think that a lot of those fish would be at risk with the cat's jaws when the cat grows up. So basically, it could work with a foot-long juvenile, but once it becomes a four-foot-long monster, that's a whole other story.

For other options to, go with what you have on your list (assuming you take out the clown knife): Oscars, Ripsaw Catfish, Irwin Soldier, catfish, and I'll think of others when I wake up, lol.

I hope this helps! Good luck with your pond!

Reactions: Joshuakahan

AR1

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2023
kingdom of saudi arabia, riyadth
add albino pacus and iredescent sharks.they are really beautifulland add some movement. As for the catfish, you can add vulture catfish, marble acaras or other medium sized cats.Maybe add some Peacock bass too?

SilverArowanaBoi

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Sep 21, 2023
Houston, Texas
add albino pacus and iredescent sharks.they are really beautifulland add some movement. As for the catfish, you can add vulture catfish, marble acaras or other medium sized cats.Maybe add some Peacock bass too?
I almost forgot about albino/platinum variants of fish. If you still want that Clown Knife and you like odd variants, get an Albino Clown Knife. It will be easier to see especially if you have a dark colored tank.

Reactions: AR1

Americancichlidsaredabest

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2022
That stocking sounds good. IMO you could add a redtail but I would stay away from the arowana because they have an almost snakelike look to them and without a cover they will for sure jump.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store