Planning on building 2,000gal next year, stocking?

jjohnwm

Sausage Finger Spam Slayer
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
Suggestions? Sure...

I'd suggest choosing fish that you like, rather than fish that other people tell you they like. I'd strongly suggest that you research each species carefully for quirks or traits that may make it unsuitable for community life. For example, I consider Clarias and Pacus to be among the most relentlessly aggressive and destructive fish we keep, not well suited for life with many other species. This is less of a "thing" in a decent-sized pond, but they will grow large and I just don't trust 'em. I also tend to think that you may have a hard time getting adequate food into the gar with Pacus and other "enthusiastic feeders" in there; ponds or tanks containing a bunch of obese fish that got that way because their owners had to stuff them to the gills before the shyer, slower eaters could get any food are all too common. Target feeding specific fish may be easy, difficult or impossible, depending upon the situation...but it's much nicer to have a tank you can just toss food into and know that everything in there will get its share.

Probably my number one suggestion would be to hold off buying any of these fish until your hoped-for pond is a little closer to completion. A lot of life can happen between now and next year, stuff that may delay or hamper the pond build...but a bunch of fish being "grown out" don't stop eating or growing or spewing waste products just because your next-year project turns into a much-later project. Fish should always be the last thing purchased, not the first.

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
Whatever fish you end up choosing please tell us that you are NOT planning on getting any of them until your large pond is complete.

Buying monster fish as juveniles now to grow out in a little tank until the "big one" is ready is not a good strategy.

As already mentioned, things can change, life can throw a curve ball at you. Your pond might not materialise, and then you're stuck with a bunch of fish that are growing fast, with no where for them go to go!!

In your situation it's understandable that you are keen and excited, but you need to be responsible too!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store