Please help im a beginner

❤️ my yellow lab

Exodon
MFK Member
Oct 16, 2023
Never heard of that brand, or adding aloe vera, but the most important part of the conditioner is the dechlorinater, everything else is just trying to sell you more than you need. If you do your water change by buckets, then you only dose the amount of water in the bucket(maybe 15 to 20l volume) before adding it back to the tank. If you add tap water directly to the tank maybe with a hose, then you need to dose the amount of the whole tank (300l)

The beneficial bacteria, if it works, is only really useful when starting from scratch, but your old tank has been running awhile and should be fully cycled, a test for nitrite and nitrate should confirm this. Use your old filter, or at least media from it in your new tank and you will get the beneficial bacteria you need already.
So I used a hose when first filling the tank ..I dosed for 300l. When I do water changes I use a bucket I take say 25 or 20%...I was adding for just what I've taken out if that makes sense.so if I did half the tank,I'd dose for a 150l..is that right what I'm doing???x I did not know about aloe vera not being good..as I was aware its good for cleaning cuts or soothing..I trusted it because ut was being sold for an aquarium and fish🤦‍♀️🤦‍♀️please canbu tell me if,why its not good.thank you

Reactions: SilverArowanaBoi

SilverArowanaBoi

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Sep 21, 2023
Houston, Texas
Omg really?? I have to say whilst using this the water has been crystal!,but if its at a cost it will hurt my fish on anyway I WILL stop use....can you recommend a good one..I know someone said seachem?I did use a seachem plus aquarium water conditioner..I'm so confused..I REALLY need yo no the basic.what is it I need to be using..also any medication I should ad ..there's so much different advice videos.helllppp..lol
Seachem Prime (probably the best-known one) and API Tap Water Conditioner are the best water conditioners. If you also have something like TopFIn or a lesser know conditioner, that is fine too. All conditioners should help keep your water safe. To keep your water clean, do water changes. It helps to remove the bad and put in good.

SilverArowanaBoi

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Sep 21, 2023
Houston, Texas
So I used a hose when first filling the tank ..I dosed for 300l. When I do water changes I use a bucket I take say 25 or 20%...I was adding for just what I've taken out if that makes sense.so if I did half the tank,I'd dose for a 150l..is that right what I'm doing???x I did not know about aloe vera not being good..as I was aware its good for cleaning cuts or soothing..I trusted it because ut was being sold for an aquarium and fish🤦‍♀️🤦‍♀️please canbu tell me if,why its not good.thank you
A little research says that Aloe Vera is safe for fish with many potential benefits, but at the same time, it could potentially be a laxative which isn't good.

Cal Amari

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2023
I didn't say the aloe was bad, I'm just not familiar with it in fishkeeping. As for the brand, whatever you can get near you, seachem is often mentioned on here, but any dechlorinater. you just need to get the chlorine out of the tap water. Over the years I've used tetra brand, api, seachem, etc.

As for dosing, you said your dosing for how much water you remove, which is fine, but you didn't say when you treat the water. if your putting the conditioner directly into the tank then you need to dose for the whole tank volume. If you put the conditioner into the bucket with the tap water then you only dose the bucket amount. As mentioned above, overdosing on water conditioner is pretty harmless, but the dechlorinater reduces oxygen in the water, so don't go too crazy. And it's a good idea to have an airstone running, or some sort of surface agitation, usually pouring a bucket in creates a lot of agitation which helps.

DJRansome

Aimara
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2008
New Jersey
I like to avoid adding anything to my tank that is not essential. With a well and pH=7.8 and KH=7 I add nothing at all. 18 years and counting.

With "city" water I would add dechlor like Prime and nothing else.

❤️ my yellow lab

Exodon
MFK Member
Oct 16, 2023
I'm not familiar with that brand...do you have Seachem Prime or an API conditioner in your area?
Hey,long time no speak lol.hope everything's good with you ..can I pls ask u,so I changed to seachem prime..after 3 days my waters turning brownish..did water tests but all OK.. is that normal I did almost a full water change when I put the seachem in..it says 1 cap 200l so I put one and a half caps..fo you have any ideas..oh and fish are rubbing against things all of the..also they are darting about. Many thanks in advance ☺

Reactions: SilverArowanaBoi

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
Hey,long time no speak lol.hope everything's good with you ..can I pls ask u,so I changed to seachem prime..after 3 days my waters turning brownish..did water tests but all OK.. is that normal I did almost a full water change when I put the seachem in..it says 1 cap 200l so I put one and a half caps..fo you have any ideas..oh and fish are rubbing against things all of the..also they are darting about. Many thanks in advance ☺
Did you add any wood recently? I haven’t heard of prime doing staining water.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store