PLEASE SHARE EXPERIANCE WITH MANGROVE JACKS

amehel0

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 3, 2007
Brisbane, Australia
i got one! awsoem lil fellar and teething. there alot weaker in freshwater. i recently moved mine and he developed fin damage it wasnt healign so i put him in brackish and he healed ver quickly now hes back to full fresh. he eats fish strips (ive got 6kg of fish fllets).

aussiemonsters

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 2, 2009
Australia
Mangrove Jack. see Biology,management and genetic stock structure of mangrove jack (Lutjanus argentimaculatus) in Australia ISBN 0 7345 02257 in short adult fish live and breed offshore juvenile fish enter streams at about 25mm and travel upstream spend early part of life in freshwater moving downstream and offshore at approx 50cm 3 to 5 years old can spend entire life in freshwater. Due to saltwater tolerance hypersaline bath and salt at 25ppt is an effective treatment for most common disease/parasite problems.Grow to over 1 meter oldest recorded fish 38 year female 82cm A TRUE AUSSIE MONSTERFISH and one of my favorites. Will not tolerate tankmates smaller or less aggressive or each other, nothing has ever survived with the ones I have kept

phoenixx

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 16, 2006
USA
Awesome fish!

I bought mine at 3" and grew him out to 9" before I traded him in. I housed him in a 125g with sand substrate. He was the only fish in there because he would not tolerate any tankmates. Ate nothing but feeders. I tried freeze dried krill, cichlid pellets, frozen shrimp, frozed blood work cubes but no luck.

In my experience they are similiar to Datnoids in that they just lay back and are not very active until feeding time. He was a bit skittish when I did water changes, which was good because I value all of my fingers!

I had a post about him a while back, I'll see if I can find it. There were some good pics in that thread.

Edit: Here is the link to another thread about MJ's http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=62163&highlight=mangrove+jack

And for the record I was able to keep a MJ in 100% freshwater for a couple of years before trading him in. Don't sweat it if people tell you it cannot be done.

Piscineidiot

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2008
QLD Australia
I'll back masone on the fact that the critters breed in saltwater but can grow to quite large sizes in total freshwater. In fact, several Queensland impoundments have been stocked with juvenile and brood stock mangrove jack up to 5-6kg (bit over 2 feet in length).

However, often, this winds up being the issue:

amehel0;3412841; said:
i got one! awsoem lil fellar and teething. there alot weaker in freshwater. i recently moved mine and he developed fin damage it wasnt healign so i put him in brackish and he healed ver quickly now hes back to full fresh. he eats fish strips (ive got 6kg of fish fllets).
The solution is generally to house them in fairly hard, alkaline water. They do better in that than they will in the soft stuff. Reason being, while their physiology can handle being in freshwater, it's much better suited to the high mineral content of saltwater.

While I'm going to grossly over-simplify this, the reasons why most saltwater fish can't handle freshwater, and vice versa is due to the laws of diffusion/osmosis.

Osmosis: If a cell has a lower mineral content than the surrounding solution, water will leave the cell until the ratio of 'mineral to water' within the cell matches the outside environment and vice versa.

Diffusion: Same principle, but with minerals. If a cell has a higher mineral content than the surrounding environment, then the minerals will diffuse across the cellular membrane until the concentration on either side of the membrane is even.

Basically: If a freshwater fish was dumped into saltwater, what generally happens, is that the fish is unable to stop water from escaping its cells - the cells collapse, and the fish dehydrates. Conversely, if a saltwater fish winds up in complete freshwater, and it can't control the mineral/water balance in its cells quickly enough, water engorges the fish's cells and eventually bursts them. You won't find a shrivelled, or exploded fish in your tank, but that's what's happening on a microscopic level - not a nice way to go.

Some fish are capable of regulating how severely osmosis and diffusion affect them by retaining/excreting salts or water etc. while undergoing physiological changes (especially to their kidneys) to make maintaining their ideal body chemistry easier.

Very few, if any fish are capable of switching from a hard, saltwater environment to an extremely soft, freshwater environment in a short term. Physiological changes take time.

Soft water is called this because of its lack of mineral content in the water - water that's too soft will still result in tissue damage in the jack due to the laws of osmosis and diffusion. There's only so much a fish can do.

So, if you were going to keep a mangrove jack in freshwater (and it was recently acclimated from saltwater), I'd reccomend water with a high mineral load. You might want to try this anyway if you wind up with one that's looking a little bit sickly and mottled (generally, that's how they express stress).

mangrovedave

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 7, 2009
australia qld logan
im onto my 2nd jack now the 1st 1 died due to eating a feeder from the pet shop poor fella.. it happened 2ce 1st time i got him better 2nd time he was a goner.. :( he lived with a pleco the same size and never bothered him if they grow up together the generally are ok.

the 1 i got to replace him is 50cm hard to get pics but i should have some good 1's soon

'vspec'

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 15, 2010
Melbourne
wow, that is one big picture. Try photo resize. Its free

Piescine, quality write up, thats how its done - well done bud.

Jacks have been apart of my family for at least 15years easy. (Ex QLDer, so it reminded me of home.)
Its hard pressed to find an equally defining fish.
As much as ive tried, i was unsuccessful in breeding them domesticity. You would need something of aquaculture sizing to achieve it in my opinion.
Ive kept various individuals in all three environments. However from a long term cost perspective, found i can hold them around 1.008SG with live rock (pinched from my SW stockpiles) and they are content. sexual dimorphism and hence what we'd relate to as spawning instincts doesn't occure till early to mid teens anyways.

Colouration without a doubt occurs the more you bring them into salt.

fishbee

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 12, 2008
Brissie OZ
mine is about 16-17" and a complete wuss, in full fresh and fed on hikari only, colour still as good as salt variety:grinno:

003.JPG

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store