Plumbing into house for drain and fill tips?

Fish Tank Travis

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2016
Dayton, OH
Just want to point out that if you are going to run a T off of one of your return pumps, the amount of water you can change will be limited by how much water your return pump chamber can hold. If you really want to be able to use this for water changes then you need to pump/drain water from the main tank into the sink drain. Also, when pumping/draining into the sink drain line, be sure that the line can handle the flow. Otherwise, you will start to overflow your sink when doing a water change.

FedEXguy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 1, 2012
Arkansas
Just want to point out that if you are going to run a T off of one of your return pumps, the amount of water you can change will be limited by how much water your return pump chamber can hold. If you really want to be able to use this for water changes then you need to pump/drain water from the main tank into the sink drain. Also, when pumping/draining into the sink drain line, be sure that the line can handle the flow. Otherwise, you will start to overflow your sink when doing a water change.
Thanks for the heads up. I will have two 40g breeders connected together for my sump (but probably only about 30g in each, so 60g total.) Whatever amount of that ends up above my pumps' inlet will be available. My sump will be "chambered" by walls of Poret filter foam and not blocked by baffles or walls.

FedEXguy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 1, 2012
Arkansas
Here is a mockup of the sump that would be the drain/fill sump (and still connect to the main tank) and also here is my wall with its skirt pulled up so you can see its undies.

Fish Tank Travis

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2016
Dayton, OH
Also, when pumping water out of the sump, make sure you don't go too low for the u-tubes to stay siphoned. Have you considered drilling the tanks to connect them via bulkheads?

FedEXguy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 1, 2012
Arkansas
Also, when pumping water out of the sump, make sure you don't go too low for the u-tubes to stay siphoned. Have you considered drilling the tanks to connect them via bulkheads?
Yes, I've thought about it but decided it's too much trouble. I am thinking of replacing the pvc with clear flex tubing so that I can see how much air is in the pipe. You just need a powerhead to blow water through them to restart the siphon if you do break it.

FedEXguy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 1, 2012
Arkansas
I had a thought...would it be better to have the Y for draining off of the tank drain pipe or off of the pump return pipe? I assume it will be slightly faster off of the pump, maybe, but would it also might mess with my return rate and or add noise?

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
I had a thought...would it be better to have the Y for draining off of the tank drain pipe or off of the pump return pipe? I assume it will be slightly faster off of the pump, maybe, but would it also might mess with my return rate and or add noise?
most people with quick drain connections put it pump side for faster draining, though either way would work. I don't see it messing up your return rate if you have it calibrated right with your drain line and return lines.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store