PLYWOOD AQUARIUM - BEST PRACTICES

marine_hawaii

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 6, 2009
Hawaii
I adjusted the width of the tank to utilize a 48" plywood sheet. New width is 35" (internal). Measurements are as follows:

Internal dimentions:
Length - (inches) 110 (cm) 279.4
Width - (inches) 35 (cm) 88.9
Height - (inches) 48 (cm) 121.92

Volume
US gallons: 800
UK gallons: 666.14
Liters: 3028.33

marine_hawaii

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 6, 2009
Hawaii
JaxsBr;3129233; said:
So its a one piece,tank and stand combined?

Your gonna need a chair or something for maintenance,that is quite high.
The bottom of the display glass is 32" off the ground. I suppose I could go a bit lower, but that's the height I prefer. The height is 48" (maximizes the use of the plywood dimensions). That puts the top around 6'6" or 7' with the top bracing. Fortunately it's in a room with a high ceiling.

I'll also likely build shelving along the back (strong enough to hold me up). I figure if I really need to fish around in the tank, I'll just climb up on it. That's one of the nice points about the double wall construction... it can be added to or modified (or climbed on) with little worry.

There will be an access panel in the front too (hinged access door - made from the same kind of trim that will go around the exposed front of the tank).

The point of this thread, however, is to just show a form of construction. Heights (etc) can be adjusted to whatever you prefer.

Reactions: johnaro

marine_hawaii

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 6, 2009
Hawaii
Some screen shots of the filtration. The support structures (for the filters) are removed for clarity. This is basically a Berlin type setup (it will also have a plenum (sand bed)). So the focus is on water movement.

The three columns above the tank are the tube skylights.

tank1.JPG

tank3.JPG

tank4.JPG

400gal

Feeder Fish
Mar 26, 2009
Miami, Florida
I'm glad to finally see someone going large with DIY saltwater. Great idea with the solar tubes. Been planning something similar her in Florida. What other current generation will you have besides the surge(s)? Are you going to use any gels to "tweak" the spectrum through the tubes? In my humble opinion this is the best most economical way to go reef. I was looking at Tunzes and a Oceans Motion device. I was comcerned of the potential slpash/bubbles from the surge.

onlytrain

Feeder Fish
Jun 9, 2009
Howell, MI. U.S.A.
I built a tank 16 feet x 34 1/2" inside x 24" tall using 2x4's 16" on center studded walls and joists, with 3/4" plywood only on the inside then lined with 4 x 8 foot sheets of FRP...the Fiberglass reinforced plastic sheet can be siliconed in the seams and to the glass, which allows for movment, a cheaper plywood could also be used being it would be covered......Duane

marine_hawaii

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 6, 2009
Hawaii
400gal;3200449; said:
I'm glad to finally see someone going large with DIY saltwater. Great idea with the solar tubes. Been planning something similar her in Florida. What other current generation will you have besides the surge(s)? Are you going to use any gels to "tweak" the spectrum through the tubes? In my humble opinion this is the best most economical way to go reef. I was looking at Tunzes and a Oceans Motion device. I was comcerned of the potential slpash/bubbles from the surge.
By "current generation" I was thinking of doing a refugia with a Deep Sand Filter inside that portion of the setup. The reef tank itself would have only a shallow sand base (1").

Interesting idea about the spectrum. I haven't looked into that as yet. I would want the UV to go thru, but if I could somehow block some infrared, that might be a good idea. Please post any information from your research!

I have not used an Oceans Motion device, but a friend has used a similar setup. You need to plan for pump maintenance, especially if the device switches the pumps on/off or creates pressure changes (tends to wear out pumps).

The surge I'm planning is just a simple gravity feed (not unlike a toilet bowl). There is a "bubble" free (or reduced bubble) method. I'll post my research on that as I get to it.

Some info on water movement:
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2008/4/lines

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store