Pondliner with window Tanks - products used and longevity

hawkeye405

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 24, 2009
Chicago
Tank is awesome

Sent from my SCH-I545 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
Thanks. I still need to finish the outside of it with oak and trim.

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south
Very clean build! That went together quick, nice work. Glad to see another liner tank on here. Are u running normal style bulkheads through the liner with rubber gaskets or did u 5200 them to the liner? My 650 could use some holes lol, i was curious if bulkheads would work on the liner.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

hawkeye405

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 24, 2009
Chicago
Thanks Wednesday, I used regular 1-1/2" bulkheads with the rubber gasket. I used a generous amount of contact cement in that area. I clamped a piece of plywood on the EPDM liner and drilled the hole from the outside in. If you go nice and easy when you get close to the liner, the hole saw will cut through the liner too. Without using the plywood piece behind the liner, the hole saw might grab the liner and rip it or snap your wrist.

Any ideas on how to quiet down the drain?

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south
Thanks for the info and drilling method thats very smart clamping on a wood backer...i plan on using bulkheads in my next liner build so ur experience def. Gives me confidence in doing so. As for your loud overflow, good tank lids usually dampen the noise quite a bit, Im far past noise reduction with 18 tanks in my home so i dont have any tricks up my sleeve for u on that. I hear loud running water and equipment "humming" 24/7 even through the floors lol...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

hawkeye405

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 24, 2009
Chicago
I covered the top of this tank with 3/4" blue styrofoam and I still hear the noise. I'm using a 75 gallon tank as the sump. I have to add a tower to hold foam for mechanical filtration. I'm just using the 100 micron socks which fill up very quickly. I'll post some pics shortly. As for the bulkheads, just make sure that you place the gasket between the bulkhead and liner. I used teflon tape on the elbows inside the tank in case I want to change the overflows. I'm thinking of coating the white pvc parts with Pond Armour but the Pond Armour that I applied three weeks ago is still tacky.

hawkeye405

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 24, 2009
Chicago
I also have this tank on a drip system which overflows through a hole that I drilled in the back of the sump. This is then connected to a 1-1/2" PVC drain.

hawkeye405

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 24, 2009
Chicago
Here is the tank finished in oak. I still need to make the doors and trim but it's almost done.

[video=youtube;IWHVETT95Pg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IWHVETT95Pg[/video]

DIDYSIS

Mantilla Stingray
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2012
West Jordan Utah
What about doing the piping for a durso but in the tank?? That has been my idea for my open drain, just have not purchased the parts to try it.

hawkeye405

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 24, 2009
Chicago
What about doing the piping for a durso but in the tank?? That has been my idea for my open drain, just have not purchased the parts to try it.
I never thought of that. I need to come up with something because the prefilter that the pipes drain into clogged up I think. There was water all over the floor this morning.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store