Pondliner with window Tanks - products used and longevity

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south
Sounds like u should b fine...i didnt adhere my liner to my polypropelene walls at all but i did use rubber cement to adhere it to the top of my steel frame because i could not use stapels. Ive read about using a rubber gasket/rubber cement and dow silicone for glass windows and liner but i would use the gold label product. It sticks to wood. Glass. Stone. Plastic. Epdm liner and even granite.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south
Top notch build bong.. nice to see another stoner fabricator out there with similar ideas. What did you use to seal ur window to the liner?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Bong

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 21, 2010
Sweden
I used Tec-7 but that was crap in that case :p I sold that tank and i think it still holds water :)

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south
I've read of tec-7 on here...still impossible to find in the states. Thanks for all your info Bong.
So thats about 4 brands i can think of that people have used on their liner tanks. Still no way to tell which is the best.
The brands include:
Tech-7
Gold label aquarium and pond sealer
3M marine sealent
and regular 100% silicone.

Which is best? My second choice would be the 3M but its almost the cost of the Gold Label so really no reason to switch my materials unless i know this stuff really works. What is interesting is the use of regular 100% silicone. I'd like to know how long these tanks are holding.

Bong

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 21, 2010
Sweden
If i build another one i would use regular silicone, drill glass and bolt it :) This + waterpressure should seal it :)

Or i would give this a try: Superstrongfixseal.jpg

Superstrongfixseal.jpg

hawkeye405

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 24, 2009
Chicago
I'm trying to decide whether to go with an EPDM or PVC liner. The PVC is lighter, less expensive and easier to fold. I will be taking down an existing 125 so I'm also now thinking to make the tank 13' long and use the front and back panes of glass from the 125 as the viewing windows of the new tank. So many ideas and choices.

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south
Dont waste ur time with pvc especially ones from home depot. They decompose under UV lighting and or the sun. I know it will probable be indoors but i just wouldnt trust it. Its plastic compared to rubber? which has more give in your mind? i would say rubber will give before it will tear like pvc. Also Firestone EPDM are 45mil. Pvc is Leass than half the mill. I'm sure you can get one 45 mil pvc. but it will end up being as much as a Firestone epdm. I didnt even fold my liner and it still lays flat. You really cant tell its in the tank. p.s. You get what you pay for. By usuing a liner your already saving serious $ compared to fiberglass and epoxies. I would also suggest a 500Gal. or larger or theres really no price break for a build.

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south
If i build another one i would use regular silicone, drill glass and bolt it :) This + waterpressure should seal it :)

Or i would give this a try: View attachment 851283
Totally agreed on regular silicone and bolts working just fine. just dont trust it fully i guess. I was hoping someone would have posed their tank like that already. Seems like its just me and you Bong hah. Nice find on a 5th product to try, i'll have to see if i can find it here in the states.

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south
I'm trying to decide whether to go with an EPDM or PVC liner. The PVC is lighter, less expensive and easier to fold. I will be taking down an existing 125 so I'm also now thinking to make the tank 13' long and use the front and back panes of glass from the 125 as the viewing windows of the new tank. So many ideas and choices.
Also agreed on so many choices for liner tanks. Thats why i cant believe theres more of us out there. Just dont use pvc lol really bad idea.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store