Pool filter sand or play sand??

that_fish_Guy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2013
CA
Hmm. Guess I will be taking a trip to Leslie's pool supplies after school. After checking the Internet for pool stores near by I think the closest one is about 25-30 minutes away from my house. I'm probably going to get 4-5 50 lb. Bags you think that should be good for a 180?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Woefulrelic

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 7, 2013
NJ
One 50 pound gave my 55 a deep sand bed, I was a bit annoyed with it at first, but then I found it to be nice because my geos constantly moved sand around and dug under rocks and wood to make pits. You have to contend with two extra feet in length and an extra foot in width. I'd get 3-4 and risk having extra.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

decoy50

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 25, 2012
VA
You should be good with 3 bags. I like the TFH brand PFS that you can get at Ace hardware, it seemed like I had to wash it alot less than other brands.

mudbuttjones

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2014
Wisconsin
I made the mistake of using playsand. After 3 years of removing fine dust in filter media and during water changes im left with what looks more like a really fine gravel. (which I know that's basically what sand is) and i actually like it. I would get layers of silt inside my canisters and HOB filters. Didn't have any impeller problems other than my ac110 which bit the dust, pun intended.

Its not totally unusable like other members have stated, but I don't recommend it.

Sent from my SCH-R950 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

that_fish_Guy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2013
CA
Going to get 4 bags later today. I know to turn off my filters and pumps. I will add it in the bare bottom. Should I Remove fish?? Or should they be fine??

decoy50

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 25, 2012
VA
I made the mistake of using playsand. After 3 years of removing fine dust in filter media and during water changes im left with what looks more like a really fine gravel. (which I know that's basically what sand is) and i actually like it. I would get layers of silt inside my canisters and HOB filters. Didn't have any impeller problems other than my ac110 which bit the dust, pun intended.

Its not totally unusable like other members have stated, but I don't recommend it.

Sent from my SCH-R950 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
I hope you didn't throw out that 110. At most, You likely only need a new motor, impeller & shaft. All that should probably run you around $20, a new 110 is around $80.

decoy50

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 25, 2012
VA
Going to get 4 bags later today. I know to turn off my filters and pumps. I will add it in the bare bottom. Should I Remove fish?? Or should they be fine??

Wash the sand really well outside in a bucket first, dont just dump it in! Even clean sand will have lots of tiny particles & you can remove most with a quick rinse. I would leave pumps/filters on so you don't lose your BB. I would move the fish to another tank if that isn't a problem, but they should be ok if you wash the sand really well first.

that_fish_Guy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2013
CA
Cool. lol of course I'd rinse it first :p

that_fish_Guy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2013
CA
I'm hoping this sand will make my tank clear up. All my other tanks are crystal clear and they have substrate however this bare bottom 180 ever since I made it bare bottom has always had a hazy appearance.

that_fish_Guy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2013
CA
One more thing... how should I arrange my circulation pumps for maximum clarity/efficiency. Here is a c rapps diagram of how I have things now. The fx6 is beside the 180 not directly under because of the stand being too short. The tank is 6 foot long 2 foot wide 2 foot tall. How should I arrange the circulation pumps so I can make my water clear and the fx6 runs at the best efficiency and all water circulates correctly. Tank will be just sand no decor also all my fish stay on the left side of the tank, I can't arrange the tank in a way that they'd move around more and it's frustrating. Thought it was only my dats but my yellow bellied pacu does it as well. They hug the glass on the left side of the tank. Brown rectangle is my 180 all black pictures are the equipment.
uploadfromtaptalk1412114016464.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store