pool filter sand warning!!

rallysman

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 7, 2005
indiana
I used that exact sand with retics and a motoro and never had any issues.

African_Fever

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 3, 2007
Canada
I've been using silica sand in almost all my tanks for over 5 years now (all fresh), and have never noticed any additional algae problems (though I do have live plants in almost all the tanks as well). I'm able to pick up various different sized silica sand for free as it's used by the truckload for completing gas wells around here, and to them a 5-gallon pail is nothing.

Brent

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 19, 2005
TFC
never had issues with pool filter sand
and as far as the bulkhead leaking did u overtighten it and push out the o ring ?why is it still leaking??
i would probably get a better quality bulhead and and glue a plug into it
i have had my 300 gallon pond running for a long time with the silicon added to the bulkhead for extra security but i know the bulkheads they come with are cheap and low budget

fishluvr510

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2008
@ HOME.
You think if i get the sand in 90 grit,Ill have problems?

john C

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 4, 2007
ohio
thanks i found out the leak problem it was the actual plug not the bulk head we will see. it was only leaking a wee bit it did freak me out that was the tub that i used silicon on the inside and out come to find out that there was a chemical reaction to th rubber gasket and it stretched the gasket and made it really soft. the pool sand i will give it a try then i sure don't feel like taking it out. i have just invested too much time and money in this so i just want what is best for the rays.
thanks john

benzjamin13

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Sep 12, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
I was kind of confused on that too. When I bought my sand, I asked for Pool Filter Sand and the guy's like, "Silica sand?" And when I got home, I read the label and it said Quartz. Didn't really matter much to me, since I'm not keeping rays, but it threw me off.

Newt

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 18, 2005
Michigan's UP
My Retric has been on silica pool filter sand for 6 months now, no problems. My fire eel and flounder are on the same sand. Never had any problems with them either and they are soft bellied like the ray.

Nic

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Oct 8, 2005
outside philly
so does this mean that a real fine 000 sand blasting sand could be used..... its a silica sand and it is the finest grade..

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store