pool filter sand warning!!

PoopSmart

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jun 26, 2007
mars
Nic;1543013; said:
so does this mean that a real fine 000 sand blasting sand could be used..... its a silica sand and it is the finest grade..

I don't see why not unless its really sharp. I think even ingesting it isn't bad for the fish, they can apparently just get rid of it, at least saltwater fish can.

In another article it talked about how sponges are made from the same chemical make up (silicon dioxide) and lots of fish eat sponge from time to time and it didn't prove to be harmful.

So I don't see why you couldn't.

KTrain

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 6, 2011
Columbus, Ohio
I've heard of a lot of people using "Quartz Sand" with no issue, I don't think there's much to it. Seems like a solid choice to me.

tonyt

Gambusia
MFK Member
May 28, 2011
hudson valley,ny
just using some small river estates gravel, wheeew, no problems here, tank looks kinda natural????
thinking about switching over to sand though

fishfreak2009

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 25, 2009
Michigan
I just removed all the pool filter sand from my 180 gallon, because I don't want it to further irritate the wound on the bottom of my motoro (where he stung himself...). He was fine on it for a few months, but the relative roughness of it compared to his open wound made me decide to take it all out.

davidsjames

Feeder Fish
Feb 18, 2012
United States
Hey it just seems hard for me to digest that sand can be good for your pool parts. At least I can't believe that it can hold over the long term. Has someone used the sand for over 5 years or something?

john C

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 4, 2007
ohio
old thead wow i still have in my 2 300gal no prob at all must of been pretty concerned at the time

T1KARMANN

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
London UK
I have always though pool filter sand could mean 10000000 of different types of sand depending on each different store selling it

I have never under stood why people risk a non aquarium just to save a few bucks it's not like you need to buy loads of it even a 300 gal will probably only need 1 large bag in a ray tank

So many people go and spend $2k on rays then make there own heater guard to save $5 and then add a sand they know nothing about to save a few $$$$$ more this makes no sense to me

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

burkeofrock

Feeder Fish
Dec 20, 2013
canada
Just in case anyone cares. Quartz refers to crystalline SiO2 whereas glass is not quartz but amorphous (the definition of a glass), which is why we can make aquariums out of it because it is much stronger. SiO2 is also common as a gel and can also crystallize in a couple of other forms. Silica only indicates the chemical composition SiO2.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store