Possible to mix?

moe214

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2014
Don't artc get huge, like slightly smaller, more aggressive rtcs?
They are said to actually attain 5 feet, the biggest reported one is longer and heavier than the biggest reported sartc from what I know. A 240 would not do at all. And they are very territorial. Claiming all regions of the tank. The whole tank would turn into a death battle. This wouldn't work imo, you'll have a bunch of fish that are at the top in their habitat, and probably won't back down when a fight is initiated. I've no personal experience with dorado or aimara, but from even reading DB's threads they don't seem to back down from other fish if a fight is initiated. And this is if he can even find a brassy which is going to be hard. He'd probably end up with a Franky which are said to be quite a bit more aggressive. Im not sure about the average growth rates of artc because people claim different things, and who knows if they have a true artc cause those threads didn't have pictures. But mine grew rapidly to 2 feet from 14-16 inches in about 8 months. That's TL. Now that's faster than the average aimara growth rate. As for dorado idk. All the fish are out of the question regardless due to the fact that they get to large alone for the 240. As DB stated you can get some nice predatory characins that are very similar on a smaller scale size, and house them together. Pick a legal smaller species of wolf or you can try more than one species of wolf. I'd do curu and golds, maybe grow out an ery ahead of time and even try that. I like my odoe alone, can't imagine a pack being worse, only better. And then if no plants maybe add some dithers. Get some bichirs too. 4-line pims and I'd try a Asian upside down catfish because I like how they're jet black, and I'd add a leporinus. Maybe try that new similar looking species Wes has been bringing in lately, idk there's a lot you can do. Obviously maybe not house everything I said together, but those are ideas of somethings I'd do revolving around predatory characins that have worked for me in the past.

MichaelE

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 27, 2005
sweden
Yepp, like the other posters wrote, this seems like a disaster waiting to happen.
If you're still going ahead with this, let us set up a betting pool on who's going to be the "winner" first ;)

moe214

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2014
Yepp, like the other posters wrote, this seems like a disaster waiting to happen.
If you're still going ahead with this, let us set up a betting pool on who's going to be the "winner" first ;)
If hope he won't do it, but if he were to I think that would come down to each specific fishes aggressiveness

bignootch

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 31, 2006
At The Antipodes
If hope he won't do it, but if he were to I think that would come down to each specific fishes aggressiveness
If he does decide to do it, he'll have wasted money, sent some fish to a untimely death, and have a ARTC living solo to show for... In my opinion, ARTC are "real killers"

MichaelE

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 27, 2005
sweden
So you don't think they will tolerate any tankmates even on top side of the tank?
Generally, no. I did have one that worked fine with tank mates, the only time he showed any aggression was when someone forced them self in to his hiding spot. So ye, it can be done but in 99% of cases they are going to f**k your s**t up. It's just not worth the risk.

Dragonfirehead

Exodon
MFK Member
Aug 15, 2015
I figure dorados are too fast for her to catch. She usually hides during the day and won't come out til night falls. She swims likes a shark but moderate slow pace. I might add some decoys in there so that can throw her off. Probably southern cichlids to balance the aggression.

moe214

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2014
I figure dorados are too fast for her to catch. She usually hides during the day and won't come out til night falls. She swims likes a shark but moderate slow pace. I might add some decoys in there so that can throw her off. Probably southern cichlids to balance the aggression.
Nope, artc live in rivers, they're a lot faster and more agile than your average catfish. And even so the dorado isn't going to run most likely if it's of equal size. It's just most likely gonna be a fight to the death. Also mine didn't tolerate top dwelling fish either, they got it last, but they still would have ended up dead, well the gar did, but the aro I got rid of before anything. I don't think cichlids are a good idea mine almost killed a 10 inch buttikoferi in one night at the lfs, it was my old butti,it wasn't a punk by any means but nor did it go look for problems, it only defended itself, it's scales were all protruding if they weren't missing and its fins were almost all gone pectoral and caudal fin were gone, dorsal was missing slightly. I don't think there's many suitable dithers just like for wolves, if it wants it it's Going to get it one way or another.
If he does decide to do it, he'll have wasted money, sent some fish to a untimely death, and have a ARTC living solo to show for... In my opinion, ARTC are "real killers"
what makes you so sure the artc will come out on top? Or be the last man standing so to speak.

bignootch

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 31, 2006
At The Antipodes
Nope, artc live in rivers, they're a lot faster and more agile than your average catfish. And even so the dorado isn't going to run most likely if it's of equal size. It's just most likely gonna be a fight to the death. Also mine didn't tolerate top dwelling fish either, they got it last, but they still would have ended up dead, well the gar did, but the aro I got rid of before anything. I don't think cichlids are a good idea mine almost killed a 10 inch buttikoferi in one night at the lfs, it was my old butti,it wasn't a punk by any means but nor did it go look for problems, it only defended itself, it's scales were all protruding if they weren't missing and its fins were almost all gone pectoral and caudal fin were gone, dorsal was missing slightly. I don't think there's many suitable dithers just like for wolves, if it wants it it's Going to get it one way or another.

what makes you so sure the artc will come out on top? Or be the last man standing so to speak.
From my personal experience, the ARTC is territorial, swift, has a very healthy appetite, a strong bite, and can have a nasty attitude! Just turn the fish tank lights out/off and it will GO TO WORK!!!

moe214

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2014
From my personal experience, the ARTC is territorial, swift, has a very healthy appetite, a strong bite, and can have a nasty attitude! Just turn the fish tank lights out/off and it will GO TO WORK!!!
Same goes for wolf and dorado though.. It comes down to the specific fishes imo.

Reactions: bignootch
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store