Potamotrygon schuhmacheri

slippery slimecoat

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2012
New York
Lord. 125 is pushing the limits already. Why do I have to like stingrays so much? :p Maybe I can customize a 125 and get it to a point where it would work. A 130 gallons 72 x 42 x 10 would probably work.
It isn't just the footprint that is a factor in proper housing of them. You need the proper water volume to ensure good water quality.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

jeffers

Piranha
MFK Member
Jun 11, 2009
southern indiana
plus thinking you can buy a pup at 4" and make profit on it at 8" just doesn't happen. rays are not like other fish. your pup price is usually just about the same as adult price unless its a proven breeder and even then you will find proven breeders only $50-100 more than a pup price. most of the time someone is selling an adult ray is when they are getting out of the hobby and trying to do something else so aren't looking for profit.

only time you see a proven go for more is if its is best quality and producing amazing quality.

Derpy007

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2014
USA
Maybe P. Ocellata. FishDog told me 15'' but FishBase and the IUCN say 20 cm or 8 inches max. I also have seen regular old users on websites say P. Ocellata hits 8 inch max...

Blkpiranha

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 8, 2007
Maybe P. Ocellata. FishDog told me 15'' but FishBase and the IUCN say 20 cm or 8 inches max. I also have seen regular old users on websites say P. Ocellata hits 8 inch max...
Fish base is not reliable so get your info from here where people actually own stingrays.

UnstoppableJayD

MFK NNJ
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Jun 6, 2012
Northern NJ
There are ocellatas in peoples tanks on this forum bigger then 8 inches, you need volume for success with rays no matter the foot print.

FLESHY

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2006
Central Wisconsin
Fish base is not reliable so get your info from here where people actually own stingrays.
Im going to have to disagree with this. I will trust scientists who are collecting and taking real measurements for data over hobbyists all the time.

Is fish base perfect? No.

Is it more trustworthy than the people telling you that all RTC are going to reach 5' when in reality if you break 40" you've grown a monster? Yes.

Moral of the story - in order to properly keep fish the tank size and filtration must be adequate for the 1 in 1000 situation. Be prepared to grow the fish as large as possible, provide it with proper diet and conditions and see where you end up.

Karl K

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 10, 2014
Denmark
I didn't really think of the water volume. Rays are poo machines ;) Theres people on here with 15"+ Ocelettas. I think relics stay smaller than Oces. Don't hold me up on it tho. From all I've read, scobinas are the smallest, then Hystrix, then retics. And they all need 3' wide tanks as adults. Again there's lots of cool fish for 55 gallons :) Just go to the mini monster sticky in general aquaria discussions :)

Sent from my ST15i using Tapatalk App

Mr. Allgood

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2012
Iowa
If you can't afford a proper tank then you likely cannot afford to purchase and keep a ray. All of us have dreams that far exceed our pocketbooks

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store