"PowerGlow" Bulbs?

sweeTang21

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 10, 2007
Wisconsin
no mater what the box says, that bulb will not grow much for coral at all. Its to wide range to actually help coral in one way or another. They will be lacking proper spectrum in both areas so your going to see very poor color and growth. 18000K is a wide spectrum number and will not even produce that great of spectrum for FW plants.

BIGgourami

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2007
Chicago, IL
RyanR;1711929; said:
Kind of hard to use two bulbs with one ballast, and a canopy that only has room for one... I have many ballasts, BUT the canopy doesn't have room for them...
one 50/50 bulb...... problem solved... lunch anybody?

BIGgourami

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2007
Chicago, IL
FW plants grow best under 7000K or close to lighting.... the very fact that it's a light bulb means it promotes growth... legally they can say basically anything they want....

Danyal

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 26, 2006
woodland, ca
the coral will grow very well under a "FW" bulb, like around 6,7k but the colours will be very crappy. the biggest question isn't wheither or not you've got the right spectrum but if you've got enough light, a powerglo is a NOt8 bulb, the only place i could see it supporting a decent amount of coral is over a shallow(like 8~10" deep) nano

dodge4x4man68

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 2, 2008
MASS
I use 2 40 watt aqua-glo 18,000k bulbs along with a 40 watt life-glo bulb on my african mbuna tank and I must say the aqua-glo bulbs really intensify the colors of my fish and the life-glo bulb makes my java moss grow very nicely. dont know what would happen with a saltwater setup using these, but I am starting a SW tank within the next week and have a 260 watt power compact for that setup, I may throw the strip with the hagen bubls on it just to see what it looks like

BIGgourami

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2007
Chicago, IL
dude with T8 or T12 floros the only corals you could even get to surviv would be shrooms...

the 50/50 bubls are compact floros..

and yes spectrum does matter.. the zoanthillae can't utilize EVERY spectrum of light, the pigments only work for certin K temps...

RyanR

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2007
Canada
BIGgourami;1714893; said:
dude with T8 or T12 floros the only corals you could even get to surviv would be shrooms...

the 50/50 bubls are compact floros..

and yes spectrum does matter.. the zoanthillae can't utilize EVERY spectrum of light, the pigments only work for certin K temps...
English please?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store