"PowerGlow" Bulbs?

sweeTang21

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 10, 2007
Wisconsin
i agree with big G. If the Corals food source, zooanthallae, are being starved of proper lighting then eventually they will die off. It may be possible, but not for long periods of time, nor would this make a tank look "good".

ill give it the fact that 18000k is in range of the coral but i dont think its intensity is all that great for stimulated growth.

BIGgourami

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2007
Chicago, IL
RyanR;1715073; said:
English please?

the algea that lives insid the coral need a certain color light to make food for the coral... english enough? :D

here's what i would think is "good" lighting

Softies... NO to PC lighting
LPS... higher watt PC to T5's
SPS... higher watt T5's to halides or HQI

these are the mins for different types... they'll all do good under stong lighting but take care in introducing them so they don't get overexposed and 'burn'...
the lower the intensity the shallower the tank has to be...

i would think they'd all do best under 10,000K and actinic mix... but a halide unit w/o floros or T5's should be like 14,000K or even 20,000K to prevent scortching in smaller tanks with high wattage lights...

like in a 29 with a 250W halide the light shuld be like 14000K but in a 55 it should be 10000K

always start a new coral at the bottom of the tank and slowly move up in to the desired/necissary position

Reefscape

All Gr8KarmaSF's fault....
MFK Member
Apr 2, 2007
Staffordshire UK
Just want to add a side note to this thread, regarding what light is needed for corals...Actinics are not required by corals to grow. Actinics merely provide a visual florese appearance to the human eye. When talking lighting for a coral, what is best for the corals growth, 6500k is THE best light to use. There has been many dicumented experiments over the years with coral growth under different lighting forms, and because 6500k is the closest to what the sun provides, it creates optimum growth. The downside of this lighting "colour" is the appearance it gives the tank, which is not overly appealing in my opinion....

Ok...thats it...just wanted to throw this into the mix as i seen actinics mentioned a few times .... :)

sweeTang21

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 10, 2007
Wisconsin
pufferfreak;1715728; said:
Can someone recomend a good bulb to get then. Like sweeTang21, what lighting do you have?
For your tank, i would say get this unit::

http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_AquariumPage~PageAlias~lighting_fluorescent_current_usa_nova_extreme_t5_high_output_ho_lunar.html

PC's would be great too, but i avoid heat if i can. I like using actinics because it helps the corals "wake up" before the bights come on. Its like stepping outside from a dark room to very very bright sunlight, makes your eyes hurt lol. By no means do you need actinic though.

My personal setup is a mix between PC 10000k and 460nm and a NO T-5 standard ratings as well. Per the par ratings i have potential in growing acropora and other higher light needed corals, but would do so because they would be very poorly colored and wouldn't grow for the beans lol.

hope this helps

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store