Preserving fish

Fabio's Dad

Annie the Sun Conure
MFK Member
Feb 26, 2006
Colfax, WA USA
spoofsjsc;876880; said:
how bout 80 proof gin?anybody tried this before?
I like to use taquila when preserving worms!

WhitesFastFoods

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2007
Earth
You may want to try mummification using baking powder....I've read that it takes about 6 weeks. You start by putting a layer of powder in a sealable tub. Then fill the fishes mouth and pack him tight in the tub with more powder,so as air can't get to it. Replace the powder every week of so...and the end result is a slightly shrunken preserved fish.

Jim

davo

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2006
England
think i'd prefer them bottled and in liquid, but thats an interesting technique.

Bstinga

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 10, 2007
New Zealand
I agree with the Formalin then alcohol as sugested by beblonde. Fix with 10% Formalin and then store in 70% ethanol. I have fish done this way that are still in perfect condition and good colour etc my oldest are about 8 years old now.

If you want to try something pretty cool you can clear and stain the fish, the flesh is clear the bones goes red stained with alizarin red and cartilage is stained with alcian blue. However they don't hold up as well as fixed fish and I don't know how big a fish this is going to work well with, but it looks like a real life colour x-ray. If your keen look it up at your library: Pothoff, T. (1984) Clearing and staining techniques. Ontogeny and systematics of fishes. American Society of Ichthyologists and Herpetoligists, La Jolla, California: 35-37. Sorry I lost my copy :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store