Primary seal question

dent20

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 25, 2008
Iowa
Not sure where to find trim for a 175 bowfront though. That's my problem. When I'm referring to the frame, I mean trim. Sorry, rebuilding a tank is a new experience for me. I've just about got the tear down finished though.

mudbuttjones

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2014
Wisconsin
True that is sort of an odd size. Doesn't hurt to poke around though

Sent from my SCH-R950 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

dent20

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 25, 2008
Iowa
Will do. Thanks for the suggestion. Already tried emailing a couple of suppliers but struck out. Will try my LFS next.

dent20

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 25, 2008
Iowa
Finished taking the tank apart. Feels like quite the accomplishment in itself. That was a pain, but now that I've done it feels good and gives me the confidence to know I can do it again with other tanks if I need to.

fishguy306

Peacock Bass
Community Vendor
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2005
Illinois
Glad to hear it! Have you tackled the cleaning and complete silicone removal yet? That is a big project in itself.

As for the trim, not sure where the best place to look would be. If the manufacturer isn't able to help that concerns me a bit.

duke33

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 18, 2007
WV
This is a helpful thread. I have been putting off "resealing" a 300g. The secondary gave way, then the primary. I ran the take for a long time half full. Now it is getting worse. I thought I needed to take it clear apart, now I know that I do. Bummer.

dent20

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 25, 2008
Iowa
Glad to hear it! Have you tackled the cleaning and complete silicone removal yet? That is a big project in itself.

As for the trim, not sure where the best place to look would be. If the manufacturer isn't able to help that concerns me a bit.
No, haven't cleaned the glass yet. I'm taking a little break to work on a couple of other aquarium projects.

I'm hopeful I can put the frame back together with silicone. It just looks a bit rough now. Still considering euro bracing but seems like I'd need to get customized work done.

dent20

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 25, 2008
Iowa
Started cleaning the glass today and found this. A bottom corner of the front piece of glass has broken off. It was in three pieces and still hanging from the corner, so I pulled it free. The silicone was the only thing holding it there. I'd say it's about four inches worth. Not sure if I should try to seal them back together and onto the tank, or try to fill the gap with silicone. Anyone have any opinions?

I'm worried this tank is just never going to come together.

photo-8.JPGphoto-7.JPG

photo-8.JPG

photo-7.JPG

dent20

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 25, 2008
Iowa
Yeah, not sure I'll be able to find another 175 bowfront glass panel. I guess I could try to use the back panel and sides for a new tank but I'd have to find replacements for the bottom and front, or maybe use them in a plywood build of some kind. If anyone has any creative ideas, I'd appreciate hearing them.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store