problems!! calling all ray owners!! i need help. i'm slowly loosing my rays!

DB junkie

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa
Damnit. VERY sorry to hear this man.

You do run a moving bed don't you Mike? Still run canisters in addition?

Could the Prazi have caused the media to float and dry out? Causing an entirely different problem then you started with?

ONLY way I've found to keep moving beds from dying off when using prazi is basically to put a wet/dry tower OVER the moving bed so it can't dry out.

First time I used Prazi with a 55 gallon drum as my moving bed I came home to half the K1 on the floor the other half floating in the barrel. ALL dried out. :(

CANAMONSTER

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Dec 5, 2012
Barrie
How would he go 5 years and now have a water quality issue? I think that's the easy answer and this has nothing to do with water quality.

keepinfish

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jun 29, 2007
In God We Trust
Only time ive seen lesions on the belly was water condition issue... like an ammonia problem or ph crash.. I am not sure how the UV would effect the potency of the prazi pro but I usually shut my UV off when i treat with meds.
Yes shut down uv when treating

UV kills off bacteria but could potentially degrade or destroy medicines :/
Yes I shut off while treating
Sliding spots around the edges usually means water quality issue. I had something similar happen a few months ago. I lost a male pup dosing with salt and paraguard for some ich that showed up on my Pbass and geos, and in the process lost a bunch of BB causing what I think was a short ammonia spike and slight pH dip. My large prego female marble stopped eating and spots around her disk started to slide and her slime coat started to peel off. I got really worried. I turned the lights off, and just dripped like normal for rhe neweek. Didn't feed for a few days, then slowly added more and more food again. I just changed my filter socks as needed.
My males never stopped eating and showed little to no signs of stress besides burying themselves more than usual.
Like I said I keep testing and not seeing the numbers

To me sounds like maybe water but you said good so im not sure. I have experienced a lot of health issues and it is frustrating can make you want to give up sometimes. Other fish I have kept have always done well for the most part I think stingrays can be tough to keep partly because they produce so much ammonia. I think we want to fix them when there is something wrong and we start guessing what to do I think Dr. Ross called it the shotgun approach. I try now to just work on clean water unless absolutely sure what to do. I wish you the best Keep you probably know more about rays than a lot of us.
I agree. I'm anti med or salt most of the time. But feel I'm down to no choice. I was very hesitant about treating in the first choice. Clean water works wonders!

Damnit. VERY sorry to hear this man.

You do run a moving bed don't you Mike? Still run canisters in addition?

Could the Prazi have caused the media to float and dry out? Causing an entirely different problem then you started with?

ONLY way I've found to keep moving beds from dying off when using prazi is basically to put a wet/dry tower OVER the moving bed so it can't dry out.

First time I used Prazi with a 55 gallon drum as my moving bed I came home to half the K1 on the floor the other half floating in the barrel. ALL dried out. :(
Nope..... Still
Old school. Wet/dry and a canister with uv.

How would he go 5 years and now have a water quality issue? I think that's the easy answer and this has nothing to do with water quality.
I've kept rays nearly 10 years with nothing like this...

I just noticed a snail crawling across him.
Took a video of it.. Wth! Ever see this? Seems I have always had snails but rarely see cause figured rays eat them up. Could snails be causing an issue?? Surely not?? Makes me wonder if they are climbing up my drip line into tank. When drip is off they could climb right up.????

JK47

Retired MFK Admin
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2008
Washington
Mike are you on a well or city water? Any construction near you? Any blood in the eye by chance?

jim barry

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jun 21, 2006
U.K
Sounds like you have had a really crap time of it mate, sorry I can't help other than to offer you the best of luck.
I just went through a case of gill fluke with a female and now have another female badly beaten from breeding and has now stopped eating. I understand how stressful it all gets.
Hope things work out mate

DB junkie

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa
May be a stupid question but how much frozen food gets tossed into this tank?

Think it's possible the filters is tapped out in terms of holding bio? Loss of the P14 brought it back down but now with another maybe the limit is being pushed again?

I know you said your not testing positive for ammo but maybe there's spikes not being caught?

I'm just thinking out loud here.........

OR with the funny breathing is water ruled out and thought is the rays ARE actually sick with something?

keepinfish

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jun 29, 2007
In God We Trust
Sounds like you have had a really crap time of it mate, sorry I can't help other than to offer you the best of luck.
I just went through a case of gill fluke with a female and now have another female badly beaten from breeding and has now stopped eating. I understand how stressful it all gets.
Hope things work out mate
Jim I know aquaman helped you out, but can you describe what was going in?

Reactions: jim barry

SHARK13

Aimara
MFK Member
Oct 29, 2012
Things can happen very quickly overnight. Just because the numbers on a test kit indicate 0 at the moment does not mean it was at 0, three days previous. Sometimes rays feel the stress/effects of water quality change after the fact and not right away. Do you keep a pH monitor on the system? If so have you seen any fluctuation in the last few weeks?
Something else may be to blame here, for the lesions and such. However, I think sliding spots is a very good indication of water quality issue.

Reactions: keepinfish
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store