Pup tanks - what do you guys use for sizes and filtration?

DIDYSIS

Mantilla Stingray
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2012
West Jordan Utah
My Tubs are 36x18x12, they only sit in the water about 7 inches, and with my tank hang or just barely fit in the openings so the lip on the tub sits on the euro brace kinda they widen to the top so they just sit in perfectly, you can place a rod or other across tank and hang them or people use foam to float them and zip tie the foam to the sides of the tub, ill add some pics in my next post of my tubs, I also do have one water jet pointing at the tub to keep water flow going to it well and that helps keep the tub clean I can see ripples in the top of the tub so air exchange is happening

Forgot to say my pup tubs are 36x18
Whats the third dimension? Right now I am picturing a big rubbermaid tupperware container, with the lid on, hung from the brace of the tank so it is at the top, with holes drilled in it for water to get through, that you open up whenever it is feeding time. Jim mentioned floating, is there literally a way to make it float on the water or did he just mean suspended? Is placement of the tub important, like near a powerhead to make sure water gets through? Holes only in the sides or in the bottom too, how many, big etc.? Any substrate added? I'm clueless here, but seems like a good idea. Wish the search function worked for me on here.

DIDYSIS

Mantilla Stingray
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2012
West Jordan Utah
I just have holes in the sides and a couple on the bottom in the corners and one on each side in the middle.

uploadfromtaptalk1427902120667.jpguploadfromtaptalk1427902143081.jpguploadfromtaptalk1427902174046.jpguploadfromtaptalk1427902286449.jpg

davenmandy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2012
Thank you so much guys! This actually brings forth a long standing question in mind. Do you guys use lids at all for your ray only tanks? I ask for 2 reasons, 1) has there been any known casualties due to glass surfing/jumping on tanks that are not largely eurobraced, and 2) my one female likes to hang upside down once in a while like spiderman, doesn't last very long, but she makes it to the centre of the tank in the opening of the lid, wonder if there is any risk of her pulling a houdini?

Anyway, those questions I don't care too much about because I don't see them as being too much of an issue, more a better safe than sorry thing, but one thing I am really interested in is if you guys put lids on these tubs? I will obviously have to suspend my lights because they sit right on the tank right now, which is fine, but I want to know if any of the pups will "tub surf" enough to pop their way out of the tank onto the brace?

Thanks again for the pics, for once in this hobby this is a concept that is exactly what it seems, a tub in your tank haha. Any other tips when dealing with these tubs? Those are some wicked pups man. How is the interaction between the big rays in there and the tub of small rays, the big rays ever try to get at them and jostle anything?

jim barry

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jun 21, 2006
U.K
Hi Dave
My tub is 22x14x8" deep it floats by putting a rectangle of 22mm tubing around it and this goes under the lip of the tub, see the White tuning in the pic bought from a local D.I.Y store. Because of this it wants to sit up in the water and can not be turned over. It is kept in place by a zip tie attached to an old power head suction cup stuck to the inside glass and anchors the tub in place.
I half cover it with the glass sliding lid on the main tank. The other half is covered by some stiff plastic netting that you can see in the next pic. This helps gas exchange whilst not allowing anything to escape! Plus it helps to retain heat in the water .
Hope this helps

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1427911975.535370.jpg

jim barry

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jun 21, 2006
U.K
Oh yes. I also got lots of holes drilled obviously plus one 45mm hole on each side including the base that were cut with a hole saw. You can see one in the first pic. I have plastic aquarium planting pot in each one so nothing can get in except a larger volume of water , but food scraps can get out easily.
In this pic you can see the plastic mesh covering the top. In the UK this stuff is sold as Heron netting to go on top garden ponds.

ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1427912292.789149.jpg

davenmandy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2012
This helps a great deal, what I am mostly getting is more than one way to skin a cat, I will find something that works with my setup, drill enough holes for water flow, secure it somehow, and make sure nothing can get out of the top. That seems to be the gist of it, I will post a pic of what I come up with when it gets done, probably in a couple weeks. Thanks everyone!

As for after the tub, I will try to get my hands on a 40-75 gal drilled so I can make a loop in the system, but if I can't I will just toss an fx5 on whatever I come up with that isn't drilled and go the old waterchange route every other day.

jim barry

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jun 21, 2006
U.K
This helps a great deal, what I am mostly getting is more than one way to skin a cat, I will find something that works with my setup, drill enough holes for water flow, secure it somehow, and make sure nothing can get out of the top. That seems to be the gist of it, I will post a pic of what I come up with when it gets done, probably in a couple weeks. Thanks everyone!

As for after the tub, I will try to get my hands on a 40-75 gal drilled so I can make a loop in the system, but if I can't I will just toss an fx5 on whatever I come up with that isn't drilled and go the old waterchange route every other day.
Loop it into the main tank mate if you run a drip. You can't beat loads of fresh water daily with pups.

davenmandy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2012
Loop it into the main tank mate if you run a drip. You can't beat loads of fresh water daily with pups.

Yup that's the number 1 option for sure, will just depend if I can find the right tank in time, keeping my eyes peeled.

Sent from my SM-T320 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

spotfin

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2006
Maine
I keep lids on my tank- mainly to cut down on evaporation, the lights rest on top of the tank, and I have a forest of pothos growing on top of the tank.
Didysis, are those Christmas lights hanging above your tank in one of your photos above?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store