Pup tanks - what do you guys use for sizes and filtration?

DIDYSIS

Mantilla Stingray
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2012
West Jordan Utah
Just some background for all,

This was just after birth 14 pups,

I threw them all in one tub at first as its close to where I divide the mother off at then later divide the males and females into the two tubs I have and then as I said I move them later to a 75 gallon tank, then I have a 210, 7x2x2 depending what I want to do but its full of grow outs for the moment, The tubs are the size of a 40 breeder so rather large compared to what most people use and start them out in first off. I know it might look a little small in the pics compared to the tank but they sure work well. I moved all the males from this last batch into the 75 gallon tank, and in the other breeder box I started growing out a Fire eel, its nice to be able to get some smaller stuff and not have it become food instantly. The tubs almost never get removed from my 600 unless I want to clean them really good or I have a ton of pups sell super fast.

Thanks for the compliments And ya feeding is fun to watch like this, and just overall I love the view, I get giddy when I see new pups in there like this its a great feeling.

lol at all the pups in there. nothing negatative ofc . looks like a nice sertup.
i bet feeding time from that angle looks good and quite manic .

davenmandy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2012
So got a 26.7x15.8x10.8 tote. Is that big enough you think? Going to float it using an abs frame zip tied to it.

uploadfromtaptalk1428014283689.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1428014294748.jpg

Sent from my Z10 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

DIDYSIS

Mantilla Stingray
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2012
West Jordan Utah
Yep that's a good size

mine is a little bigger but I have huge batches of pups and they are fine in it,

My advice-
Just remember to not drill to many holes in the bottom, you want them to have lots of contact with the food and eventually if it sits in there for a long time to get pushed out but not to soon, I did one in each corner and one in the middle of the long sides.

Also plan to have holes right at water level, with my setup I have it so the top hole at water level is half under water half out, gives good water exchange through it so you don't get the oil slick or anything.

DIDYSIS

Mantilla Stingray
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2012
West Jordan Utah
Here is how mine sits

uploadfromtaptalk1428014875544.jpguploadfromtaptalk1428015035162.jpg

davenmandy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2012
Perfect, I'll keep that in mind while building. Hopefully the 1.5" abs frame keeps it up, was debating going 2 inch, but i think it should be fine. This will be fun, i may keep the lid on and just cut some big squares out of it. Appreciate all the help. Going to try to get my hands on a nice drilled tank to loop into the main system, can be hard around here.

Dieselhybrid

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2010
Here
One abs tube on each side will keep it buoyant. Just put the caps on it so they're full of air. Use zip ties through the holes you drill in order to attach it.

davenmandy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2012
Ya sorry that's what I meant, but instead of caps i will just use 4 90 degree elbows and pvc glue them together in a rectangular frame, just for a bit of extra versitilty in case I use the tub elsewhere for something.

Sent from my Z10 using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

davenmandy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2012
So I put 44 1 cm holes on each long side spread out half on one side and half on the other. Put 6 holes in the bottom, and no holes on the width side (debating putting 4 maybe). Built the abs frame too, guess I don't have abs glue atm so gonna have to pick that up and complete it. Sanded the holes so no sharp edges. Hopefully the design proves good for water exchange.

uploadfromtaptalk1428080160876.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1428080177508.jpg

DB junkie

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa
Guess I'm the minority.....

My pups don't do well at all on same water as parents. Still not sure if its the hard water or massive feedings but my big system is a death sentence if they're left in it. I match conductivity then move them immediately.

Current right away pup tank is a tall 40 breeder - think its 56 gallons. 2 AC 110s, a small Korilia, and lots of bubbles. After that they head to a 180 with submerged rings, bio reactor, and canister driven UV.

davenmandy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2012
So I am searching and searching for a small drilled growout, no luck so far, but I can probably find something. Say I find something roughly the size of a 40 breeder thats drilled, what kind of GPH would I be looking to pump through it, as much as I can I take it? So my question is, considering it's a smaller tank with the same quality water going through my big tank, say I found a growout with 1 hole drilled for bulkhead, again considering it's a loop with the bigger tank turning over water faster to filter it, is the GPH going through the pup tank that important? Should I be looking for not just any old grilled growout but one drilled enough to handle higher GPH? My gut tells me yes because even the "good water" coming from the sump will get old in the growout if the turnover isn't high enough, but second guessing because it will be getting fresh good water at whatever rate it comes in that has been filtered from the main system.

Side question, for a smaller growout looped into the main system as the example above, do I bother with mechanical filtration or can I just let the water go into the main chamber of the sump and it will get filtered out the second time around when it goes through the big tank? The reason I ask is it may be difficult to find a way to mechanically filter it in my given sump the way it is set up right now, by no means impossible and I'm sure I could find a good way to do it effectively, I just want to know how important it is because as it stands now there would be a good chunk of splashing if I tried to put something together as is.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store