purigen or chemi pure

taksan

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 18, 2005
Been doing a little reading on both products are they as good as advised (water clarity and nitrate lowering) ? which is better ? both state around 6 months of use is it sort of true? can either be used while cycling ?
Chemipure does remove phospates so if you require phospate buffering to keep your PH up Chemipure is a no go

Purigen is fantastic, works very well but ONLY when used in conjunction with carbon as purigen kinda takes up where carbon leaves off.
6 months ? Pfffffttttt .... 2-3 months at best and re-charge ? pffffttttt ... re-charging works yes ...but only once or twice and each time you lose 50% effectiveness (ie: first use 2 months , re-charge 1 month another re-charge only 2 weeks)

That said ...
Purigen is my single greatest expense in fishkeeping.
It is that good.

lp85253

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2009
seems that purigen might be best replaced rather than recharged for 100% effectiveness ...for 8-9 bucks a pop maybe I will just buy some a couple times a year for 1 or 2 of my tanks

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
Yeah doesn't seem that expensive at all. When im done cycling im gonna try and fit some in the ac110.... dont know where though lol.

Ifnyou guys had to pick chemipure or purigen strictly based on which one polishes better what would it be

Sent from my SPH-L710 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

lp85253

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2009
I have mine , as I remember on top of a sheet of poly..then the bio-rings then the sponge on top(kinda reverse order,to lessen bypass) as you know I can't speak to chemipure, but the purigen really did a nice job on my overstocked 75 (1 100ml pack) while I had it in there for 2-3 days..it's been in the "other"75(black belt - con) the rest of the time and it seems to work,though I overfeed that tank ,so the con gets his share

petspoiler

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2011
rural Calif.
I love and swear by purigen. Absorbs excess nitrogenous waste. Removes tannins and meds. Really helps keep my nitrates down. You can visually see when to recharge it because it changes colors. Easy to recharge. Just always keep it moist.

I'll never use carbon again
Purigen does not remove meds the way carbon does. it might absorb a little, so you are supposed to remove while medicating for illnesses. but it will not clear meds or chemicals from water. it is only for organic pollutants. After any med "cure", carbon is the right media.
I use fairly large bags of Purigen, but do not reduce water changes. I use it to eliminate the nitrogenous fluctuations between water changes. parameters are more stable.
That is it's best purpose, IMO. Clarity is just a visible bonus.
However, IF something unavoidable interferes with my wc schedule, my fish don't suffer from any rising levels with this in my filtration.

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
However, IF something unavoidable interferes with my wc schedule, my fish don't suffer from any rising levels with this in my filtration.[/QUOTE]

That's kind of what I was thinking..like added security

Sent from my SPH-L710 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store