Question about an adult red devil

CANAMONSTER

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Dec 5, 2012
Barrie
Train him don't let him train you :) sounds like he is just being fussy. What did he eat before you got him?

Reactions: Mbunaphan

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Nothing against mbuna, but I find they tend to run in a sort of mob mentality.
When compared to the more highly developed and evolved personalities of Central American cichlids one must expect a sort of temporary sulk from this kind of individual, especially when its circumstances are altered, and territory stolen.
I realize I'm being a bit overly anthropomorphic, but I find many new world cichlids can compete in intellect with many humans I have regularly come into contact with.
Present company excluded, of course

Barleysoda

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2013
West Sacramento
When compared to the more highly developed and evolved personalities of Central American cichlids one must expect a sort of temporary sulk from this kind of individual, especially when its circumstances are altered, and territory stolen.
I realize I'm being a bit overly anthropomorphic, but I find many new world cichlids can compete in intellect with many humans I have regularly come into contact with.
lol "present company excluded, of course" well of course English Bob.
...when in the presence of a Central American Cichlid, one would stand...how should I put it...IN AWE.
now an mbuna?...well I mean...why not flush an mbuna?
Now you know Bob, lil Bill loves his mbuna tank

Reactions: Mbunaphan

Barleysoda

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2013
West Sacramento
I usually only keep mbuna, but I fell in love with a horribly mean adult red devil at an exotic aquatics store. I setup his/her tank, installed a fully cycled canister filter, put a few large mbuna in the tank, and let it go for two weeks. Everything was perfect, and still is... so I brought the red devil home yesterday and it is very active, responds to me walking by, follows my hand, etc... the only problem is that it won't take food, I even dangled one of my axolotl's night crawlers in the water and nothing but a stink eye. I have never had this happen with new mbuna, they always accept food instantly (I should mention the mbuna came OUT of the tank before adding the red devil before I get mean responses, lol). My question is, is this normal? If so. How long until I should worry?

Water parameters and other pertinent info:

12 inch red devil ALONE, no tank mates

Ammonia-0
Nitrite-0
Nitrate-5 ppm
Kh-80
Gh- 180
Temperature -82 degrees

75 gallon tank
Two 4 stage 380 gph canister filters
300 watt heater
600 gph power head at surface of water with fan to agitate surface
And Bubble bar
Try turning that heat down a little over the course of 2 days...maybe around 79 and see if that doesn't spark his appetite some more. Be surprised how much 4 degrees changes things. Warmer temps help speed up metabolism on growing juvies and well as help with curing certain diseases but they can slow down adult fish and I usually have best luck keeping large adult SA/CA cichlids at 78/79. smaller cichlids like rams I might keep at 82 or a hospital tank at 82/84.

CANAMONSTER

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Dec 5, 2012
Barrie

Lol

Mbunaphan

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 15, 2015
Cincinnati
I know exactly how you feel. The evolutionary regression of today's "intelligent" life gets to me daily...my fish have more personality, and seem to be smarter.

Mbunaphan

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 15, 2015
Cincinnati
Try turning that heat down a little over the course of 2 days...maybe around 79 and see if that doesn't spark his appetite some more. Be surprised how much 4 degrees changes things. Warmer temps help speed up metabolism on growing juvies and well as help with curing certain diseases but they can slow down adult fish and I usually have best luck keeping large adult SA/CA cichlids at 78/79. smaller cichlids like rams I might keep at 82 or a hospital tank at 82/84.
I went on vacation to Vegas for four days last week and instructed my mom to starve Satan (yes, his name is now satan). When I got back, eating like a pig....still a ****y fish, but fed.

metsfan

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 25, 2014
Stony Point,NY
I usually only keep mbuna, but I fell in love with a horribly mean adult red devil at an exotic aquatics store. I setup his/her tank, installed a fully cycled canister filter, put a few large mbuna in the tank, and let it go for two weeks. Everything was perfect, and still is... so I brought the red devil home yesterday and it is very active, responds to me walking by, follows my hand, etc... the only problem is that it won't take food, I even dangled one of my axolotl's night crawlers in the water and nothing but a stink eye. I have never had this happen with new mbuna, they always accept food instantly (I should mention the mbuna came OUT of the tank before adding the red devil before I get mean responses, lol). My question is, is this normal? If so. How long until I should worry?

Water parameters and other pertinent info:

12 inch red devil ALONE, no tank mates

Ammonia-0
Nitrite-0
Nitrate-5 ppm
Kh-80
Gh- 180
Temperature -82 degrees

75 gallon tank
Two 4 stage 380 gph canister filters
300 watt heater
600 gph power head at surface of water with fan to agitate surface
And Bubble barView attachment 1135034 View attachment 1135034 View attachment 1135035
Red Devils are usually very aggressive eaters. It's probably just getting used to its new home. Give it a few days.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store