Question why do people feal the need to use the word retard?

Status
Not open for further replies.

phillydog1958

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
i should not speak for erica but we should not assume just because someone uses the word that they aren't close to a special need person. you may be surprised.

personally, i use it for slang just like many other words that some people could find offensive. i think nothing of it and do not associate it with special need people.

i think from a culture stand point, the african american community uses alot of slang so to me, i'm just use to it because nothing is literal

The term is used by more than just one specific, racial or ethnic group. It's an American term and trandscends individual groups..

WckedMidas

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2005
BODYMORE MD
The only way to bring atention to the subject at hand that i no of is to make this thread. I no i dont spell the best. And constantly get flamed for it. useualy just ignore it. but the word retard is geting used so much its crazy. And it seems nobody ever thinks about what there saying or how there saying it or what othe rpeople might think. With me haveing a disabled son. It isnt that it angers me it upsets me. Im trying to get my kid into the fish hobby. Hes 16 going on 17 but hes sensitive and fealings get hurt easy. and the word upsets him pretty bad in school. To him people are judging him by his disablility and its a put down. Even when they direct it somwhere else to abnother person or subject. Would love to get him on the forum but i honestly dont think he could handle it. And the way people react when other words are used racist words for example or curse words . I feal this word should be treated the same as the other bad words. If this thread gets one person to stop saying it. Then i done my job and atleast made a small difrence. No matter how insignificant it is.

jason longboard

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 12, 2007
california
I understand you, I just think you can impact more people with different tactics like some of those commercials they play now, dont worry, I think its certainly going to spread faster than you think. If some people feel attacked for sying it, they might be childish and just do it more, you know how people are.

broken

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 6, 2009
Louisiana
I'll chime in. My nephew has down syndrome and is a great kid. I used to use this word all of the time in my younger years as a general term before he came into our lives. After having a personnal connection to someone who doesn't deserve to be labeled like that, I no longer use it. Up until that point I just didn't see it as a big deal at the time. I don't take it to offense when people use it though, I just assume they haven't been given a reason to take offense to it and they are lucky for that.

In my opinion it is just a matter of people having thought nothing of it, until it hits home.. It was for me anyway (just being honest).
I am in the same boat as you, I used to use the word a lot until I married a woman with a mentally and phisicly handycapped sister.
Now I not only dont use the word but the word now offends me.

floridagar

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 18, 2010
chicago
The only way to bring atention to the subject at hand that i no of is to make this thread. I no i dont spell the best. And constantly get flamed for it. useualy just ignore it. but the word retard is geting used so much its crazy. And it seems nobody ever thinks about what there saying or how there saying it or what othe rpeople might think. With me haveing a disabled son. It isnt that it angers me it upsets me. Im trying to get my kid into the fish hobby. Hes 16 going on 17 but hes sensitive and fealings get hurt easy. and the word upsets him pretty bad in school. To him people are judging him by his disablility and its a put down. Even when they direct it somwhere else to abnother person or subject. Would love to get him on the forum but i honestly dont think he could handle it. And the way people react when other words are used racist words for example or curse words . I feal this word should be treated the same as the other bad words. If this thread gets one person to stop saying it. Then i done my job and atleast made a small difrence. No matter how insignificant it is.

Not being an as$ but wouldn't your son being in a wheelchair make him physically impaired not mentally challenged?? Arnt those different??

This was a serious post not trying to upset anyone just wondering since there is a difference.

WckedMidas

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2005
BODYMORE MD
he has cerebral palsey Has motor control issues with the nerves going to his legs arms and hands. Hes also not as mature as most kids his age would be. He lived with his mother for past 8 years. And she babied him. He has been liveing with me since sept of last year. Got custody of him the day befor school started. Im a single dad. Raiseing a 16 going on 17 year old by my self. Thank god i got parents who help me with doctor apointments and such with him. About him being mentALY chalenged hes slightly behind a kid his age in school. But the word retard upsets him alot. Because of his past schools He had to deal with kids who were mean and bullys. Who use to call him names. Two kids put there hands on him. I almost went to jail over that one

floridagar

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 18, 2010
chicago
he has cerebral palsey Has motor control issues with the nerves going to his legs arms and hands. Hes also not as mature as most kids his age would be. He lived with his mother for past 8 years. And she babied him. He has been liveing with me since sept of last year. Got custody of him the day befor school started. Im a single dad. Raiseing a 16 going on 17 year old by my self. Thank god i got parents who help me with doctor apointments and such with him. About him being mentALY chalenged hes slightly behind a kid his age in school. But the word retard upsets him alot. Because of his past schools He had to deal with kids who were mean and bullys. Who use to call him names. Two kids put there hands on him. I almost went to jail over that one

Yeah i would be the same way knowing i dont have kids but in school i was always the kid to stick up for the one being bullied. I was always the biggest kid through school and anytime i saw a single bit of bullying i always stepped in and either told the person to stop if they don't ill tell them its time to put their money where there mouth is and im 20 years old so that still stands to this day where if i see anything that i dont like im stepping in.

ballinouttacntrol

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 20, 2009
Eugene, Or
The term is used by more than just one specific, racial or ethnic group. It's an American term and trandscends individual groups..
you are absolutely right, i didn't mean for it to come off as certain races do it, just that lots of people use words that have a completely different meaning then the actual definition. we'd all be lying to ourselves if we don't think certain races use slang more then others though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store