Questions about setting up Saltwater Tank.

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
Great white shark and Manta Ray, haha jk, just any that would be in that category of species, i'll get.
I pretty sure even bamboo sharks need a min of around 300G+ to live comfortably for life...

So i would maybe say, before dismantling your tank and setting it up as a S/W tank for a shark or ray, you really look into whether or not you can actually house either of them for life before jumping into setting up the tank... may help you save a lot of money in the long run...

Cu455

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Mar 8, 2011
US
Why only one shark and one ray? You should concider getting a pair of each. There will be plenty of room in your 100 gallon since you aren't using any rocks.

ckcdrummer

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2012
CA
I think a bunch of small fish and a 2 or 3 tangs would look cool in a tank like that. Just my opinion though haha. Ok so, here's the basics your gonna need all simplified. Just get a 100 lbs live sand, a 55 gallon tank full of LR and a big skimmer under the tank with a heater and a basic lighting system and your pretty much set. I wouldn't use the sand you used for freshwater unless you plan on cleaning it out for a long *** time. The live rock and skimmer is really all you need for filtration. You could add a section for a refugium but I don't see the reason as its not gonna be a reef tank so it won't be all the necessary. You won't need a super nice lighting system so anything basic would work, although I do suggest LEDs as it adds a nice shimmer.

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

MermaidMan

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 12, 2013
Cali
I think a bunch of small fish and a 2 or 3 tangs would look cool in a tank like that. Just my opinion though haha. Ok so, here's the basics your gonna need all simplified. Just get a 100 lbs live sand, a 55 gallon tank full of LR and a big skimmer under the tank with a heater and a basic lighting system and your pretty much set. I wouldn't use the sand you used for freshwater unless you plan on cleaning it out for a long *** time. The live rock and skimmer is really all you need for filtration. You could add a section for a refugium but I don't see the reason as its not gonna be a reef tank so it won't be all the necessary. You won't need a super nice lighting system so anything basic would work, although I do suggest LEDs as it adds a nice shimmer.

Would I really need a skimmer? since its just sand and fish. I don't want any live rock. I'll depend on my canister filters to maintain the quality

MermaidMan

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 12, 2013
Cali
And i'm just trying it in a 100G for now, I'm aware of the size the fish need. I can upgrade in the future, i'm financially stable.

probassfisher010

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2011
California
And i'm just trying it in a 100G for now, I'm aware of the size the fish need. I can upgrade in the future, i'm financially stable.
You'll be cleaning those canisters of gunk weekly and I doubt you would ever reach stability, especially with no live rock. If you're financially stable, why not do it the right way that will save countless dollars and head aches down the road? Trollin'?

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

ckcdrummer

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2012
CA
You'll be cleaning those canisters of gunk weekly and I doubt you would ever reach stability, especially with no live rock. If you're financially stable, why not do it the right way that will save countless dollars and head aches down the road? Trollin'?

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
Story of my freakin life. Started out with a canister and now have a refuge with chaeto live rock and a protein skimmer rated for triple the size of my tank. Do it right the first time and it'll be waaaayy easier for you down the road.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store