Quick reply needed!

Joao M

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2010
Portugal
I don't mind using a sump if it can be set up in a way to eliminate any chance of overflowing, what size of sump would I need to use for the tank?

The bigger the better...
But to give you a number, you may aim at ~30% of the tank volume

catfishguy

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 25, 2014
moon
The most cost effective way to filter a tank is with HOB filter. If you plan on having big fish you should also get a protein skimmer they will work in freshwater if you add salt to the water.

Vanica

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 22, 2014
Alberta, Canada
Ya in order to properly filter a tank that size you would need a buttload of HOBs and protein skimmer in fresh water? Never even heard the idea mentioned.

catfishguy

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 25, 2014
moon
protein skimmers will work in fresh water if you ad api freshwater salt and are very helpful HOB are the cheapest way to filter but not the most efficient.

ChrisP75

Exodon
MFK Member
May 26, 2013
Sacramento
Where did you figure a sump running 6000 gallons per hour? He's not running a 600 gallon tank unless I misread. A tank only needs 10x turnover therfore the tank in question would be running roughly 2000 gph. There are a lot of others on here who I have heard use their sump for nursing fish or growing plants so LOL at yourself for trying to make me feel dumb.

Lol. Kind of hard to call a sump with 6000GPH running through it a calm environment.

Sent from my SCH-S960L using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store