Quiet canister filter

makki

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 6, 2014
Sweden
I got the filter today and im gonna install it now i think. I am gonna put the canister on the side of my aquarium. Can i have the intake hosing in one corner with only like 60cm tube and outlet with like 1,5m on the other side? Or should i have both on same side? I cannot have the canister in my cabinet or in the middle.

mudbuttjones

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2014
Wisconsin
You can have it to the side thats no problem.

Its best to have both hoses the same length.

If that doesn't work I normally make the drain hose the longer one and the return the shorter, since the canister relies being pressurized. the return pump theoretically runs at close zero head since the siphoning water is creating pressure that helps negate the suction of the pump, and thus helps the pump push water. Having a shorter distance for the returning water to travel always helps, the siphon is basically "free" energy. That's how I understand it anyway.

Make sure also there are no loops or bends in the return hose that dip lower than the canister or the canisters pump. It will kill your flow.

Ive never owned an fx6, just a 406 and some smaller cousins, maybe someone who has owned this particular filter can chime in.

Sent from my SCH-R950 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

rodger

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2008
Kansas City
You should reverse them. Make the siphon hose come across the bottom of the tank, not across the top.

rodger

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2008
Kansas City
You should reverse them. Make the siphon hose come across the bottom of the tank, not across the top. You should have drawn a fish in it too.

Sorry about double post.

lunker65

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 17, 2013
Virginia
the way you have it set up should work just fine. if i remember correctly, the manual says not to use any more than 10 feet total hose length for both the input and output combined. that is also conveniently the same amount of hose that is included with the filter. now just get all the loops and sags out of the hose and let her rip. you will be happy with it and so will your fish.

makki

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 6, 2014
Sweden
Thanks! Yeah i didnt even use all the hose that came with the filter so then i guess it should be fine. I got really scared when i first started it, such air pressure came out from the output and almost pressed water out of the tank. At first i thougt something was wrong until i saw what was happening hehe.. :)

lunker65

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 17, 2013
Virginia
Oh yea that thing will move some water. also, shake the filter a few times followed by unplugging, then replugging in the filter every 15 mins or so for the first few hours to make sure all the air gets out of it. that can cause the pump to make a little noise as well as reduce filter efficency.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store