R.I.P. White-Cheeked Moray

smpage

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 21, 2007
Idaho Falls
seeing as how full marine water is, what, 35 ppt, then 8ppt wouldn't be enough to sustain a moray eel for life. I don't understand why you're arguing with me. Morays are saltwater fish. You wouldn't keep a "nemo" in a fishbowl would you?

Pomatomus

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 7, 2009
Sarasota, FL
Not all morays are the same....lol.

Just try looking up some literature (other than the one which said you're wrong) and you will see they do best in brackish water. If you look up your quote and mine, you will actually notice that mine is on more than one site, and yours is just from a random MFK post. Saying morays are saltwater fish is like saying catfish are freshwater. And although your nemo analogy makes little sense, I know what you're trying to say.

smpage

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 21, 2007
Idaho Falls
Pomatomus;3600170; said:

Just try looking up some literature (other than the one which said you're wrong) and you will see they do best in brackish water. If you look up your quote and mine, you will actually notice that mine is on more than one site, and yours is just from a random MFK post. Saying morays are saltwater fish is like saying catfish are freshwater. And although your nemo analogy makes little sense, I know what you're trying to say.
well thank you. I never have been a saltwater expert. I still have yet to find anything that says white cheeks are anything but salt water. How about posting the hidden gem that says they're fresh to brackish?

smpage

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 21, 2007
Idaho Falls
Pomatomus;3600218; said:
http://fishprofiles.com/profiles/freshwater/OthersFW/Echidna_rhodochilus/

"This fish is ideally brackish, but is amphidromous in the wild."

http://www.wetwebmedia.com/fwsubwebindex/fwmorayeels.htm

"The purpose of this article is to inform the public and industry that these two species are really not so much "permanent" freshwater residents... but better considered brackish water organisms."

http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/fish/echidnarhodochilus.php

"Best kept in Brackish water despite its common name."

http://theaquariumwiki.com/Echidna_rhodochilus

"Although these Morays will often get labelled as freshwater, they are entirely brackish fish, needing ideally quite a heavy salinity in their water, even Marine conditions. They will only enter freshwater in the wild to spawn."
While 8 ppt is considered brackish, it's not good enough for life. Hence, dead eel.
Now then, Your pictures show the eel in with cichlids that are not brackish fish so....

Cichlaholics Anonymous

Polypterus
MFK Member
May 23, 2006
Miami, Florida
Pomatomus;3600170; said:

E. rhodochilus and Gymnothorax tile are the 2 more common FW morays, but neither is a FW fish, I recall reading somewhere that Gymnothorax polyuranodon might be more tolerant, but don't have the source at the moment

Pomatomus

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 7, 2009
Sarasota, FL
smpage;3600310; said:
While 8 ppt is considered brackish, it's not good enough for life. Hence, dead eel.
Now then, Your pictures show the eel in with cichlids that are not brackish fish so....
Well all of the examples you asked for say it is whereas you have produced nothing to back you up. You said they were saltwater, then I provided info as to their amphidromous lifestyle, and now you're saying that it just plain isn't enough!

Not only is assessing the death of my fish an absurd conjecture based on pictures, and one aspect of its lifestyle, but it's unnecessary.

next time, please research before you troll.

VLDesign

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 20, 2007
IL
Sorry there is no such thing as a fresh water moray. Even the one that they call a true freshwater moray still at best needs brackish water to even live a short while.

All eels are marine animals.

Sorry for your loss.

I too had 2 white cheek morays (Before I knew better) and they too died in a non marine tank for no reason and suddenly.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store