Status
Not open for further replies.

jlnguyen74

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2007
United Species of Arowana
ausarow;3570428; said:
green arowas are native to thailand, vietnam, malaysia and mayanmar to the north.
it makes sense that the patterned fish shown in these posts is actually a throw out from the greens. that said it should not be labelled just another green as it is different and more rare and worthy of looking at breeding with to get new varieties.

as i said earlier, it would be a mutation of kind ( just like why we have so many different arows) that fitted in ok with the environment in way of making it blend well, possibly in weeds in the area.. so it could prey well and also possibly be safer from predation itself. so it survived and passed on the genes.
there are also greens that have purple coloration, these are the more rarer form and so more expensive than a normal/more usual green.
as for banjar reds? i will assume this is the same kind mentioned having a yellow tail..
these yellow tail fish became available to breeders in singapore taken from the wild.
yes the wild..outdoors...but in this i am not saying they are a naturally occuring species by way of evolution without human interaction.

the yellow tailed fish were not sourced by new import under farm license from an original native area like the reds for example came from kalimantan..but were captured locally at the time, way back in the early days of farming in singapore
you can find that information in CITES papers that make mention of what farms got what stock from where and it says yellow tails sourced from wild in singapore.
i followed this up through CITES staff and there is some confusion about them as to where these fish came from originally.the IUCN red list even notes that formosus is native to singapore?
there was a government stocking program in the early eighties where surplus stock after the breeding trials where released into some impoundments in singapore.
BUT other than the fish being present through natural means in the area there was likley some release events of other fish earlier into the singapore waterways and this could be how the yellow tail fish arose..
i am talking more like the 70s. and for all i know these could have been there for a fair while..the only way to better get a glimpse of how or where they came from is to ask the breeders and see if they actually knew the story of how they got there. for all i know they could have been there fifty years or possibly more or only five years. its all a close land mass with people moving about..
so these yellow tail fish could have come from greens, goldens or reds or possibly all three were present at the time. or even injected into the pool at any later stage.

it is rather likley that fish ( yellow tail kinds) came from these releases earlier than the stocking program in the early eighties. as to what they came from and the way they used them to bred is anyones guess but there could well have been a natural cross happening in the wild in singapore between arowanas from different regions of origins that meant for the "yellow tail" presence there.

what i dont know is if farmers are today performing the same crosses that once occured in the released areas to produce the "banjar". as in todays new banjars are just a f1 hybrid or they are on breeding the original sourced stock to produce them.
most likley that both situations are occurring actually, with some lines coming from the original stock. so the debate about whether the original ones are from a man made hybrid would rely on clearing up the situation that occured decades ago.

the more recent scientific classification is used by CITES and with such non pure breeding being done we can see why this is the case. it would just be too hard to regulate or name fish as otherwise.
more recently some scientists used the genetic marking to prove that the various colour forms within formosus had been isolated long enough to show different genes. they wanted to check the relatedness in local populations vs themselves and orowanas from other regions etc.
obvious to someone looking at a red and green and a golden to see the difference but this is the way of science.. to show that there is a difference under the skin in way of gene make up.
my guess is that as long as mayanmar had greens that the snakeskin pattern came from that and if subjected to a gene test it would show a close relationship to the green from mayanmar most specifically. they could now even look at the difference in genes that provide for the snakeskin pattern to determine this.
of course this pathway ( a mutant form of the mayanmar green) would be likely as long as other fish from other origins where not released into the areas and so found there way into the gene mix.
Great information! Thanks for sharing.

Gshock

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 21, 2009
Toronto
skareb;3569985; said:
Grand master, can you answer me a point blank question, do banjar red exist in the wild? timeline is not important my question is: banjar red come from nature or man made? Because your second master says banjar red are man made, so I'm wondering where is your stand on this.
Someone tell me how many times I just finished saying I dont know? Please?

Now can YOU answer me a question? Can you read? LOL

Gshock

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 21, 2009
Toronto
Wait, Jl, one question, does it even MATTER if a banjar is a man made hybrid or a natural hybrid LOL. Whats the damn difference, its still a damn hybrid. My question is, does being a man made hybrid or a natural hybrid, make it not a hybrid? LOL. Im lost at the point Skareb is trying to make. And btw Skareb, for however many times, I'll say it once more just for your sake. I DONT KNOW IF THE GOD DAMN BANJAR IS A GOD DAMN NATURAL HYBRID OR A GOD DAMN MAN MADE HYBRID. ITS A DAMN HYBRID AND THATS ALL THAT MATTERS. PLEASE STOP ASKING ME, YOU SOUND MORE AND MORE STUPID EVERY TIME. CAN YOU READ IT NOW SKAREB? DONT SAY I DIDN'T SAY I DON'T KNOW

jlnguyen74

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2007
United Species of Arowana
Gshock;3572055; said:
Wait, Jl, one question, does it even MATTER if a banjar is a man made hybrid or a natural hybrid LOL. Whats the damn difference, its still a damn hybrid. My question is, does being a man made hybrid or a natural hybrid, make it not a hybrid? LOL. Im lost at the point Skareb is trying to make.
:D Obviously, Skareb here has a serious problem with comprehensive. He thinks if fish is caught in the wild, then it's not a hybrid. He forgot that fish can crossbreeding in the wild, or people could crossbreed fish, whether with intent or accidentally, and dump the less desire ones in to a lake or river.

Another thing is Skareb is hurt, because we don't show much appreciation for Myanmar/Batik arowana that he has and called "rare." He should know better how rare is Batik arowana, since he didn't pay as much for it as a red or "xback!" :D

Gshock

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 21, 2009
Toronto
jlnguyen74;3572103; said:
:D Obviously, Skareb here has a serious problem with comprehensive. He thinks if fish is caught in the wild, then it's not a hybrid. He forgot that fish can crossbreeding in the wild, or people could crossbreed fish, whether with intent or accidentally, and dump the less desire ones in to a lake or river.

Another thing is Skareb is hurt, because we don't show much appreciation for Myanmar/Batik arowana that he has and called "rare." He should know better how rare is Batik arowana, since he didn't pay as much for it as a red or "xback!" :D
*sigh* I guess some people just don't get it, even after repeated attempts. LOL Batik, Mayanmar, whatever, I'd rather just get a good looking red.

Status
Not open for further replies.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store