Ray became lethargic

T1KARMANN

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
London UK
I do have my own test kits, my results basically mirrored what the LFS results were. I stated that earlier. I am nervous and concerned, as I am sure you all would be if one of your favorite rays went off its feed for no obvious reason? As I stated earlier, I feed them earthworms, tilapia, shrimp, smelt and massivore, of which up until a few days ago she would eat very aggressively (except for the massivore).

I realize that anything can be the problem, but most of you guys here have years more experience than I do so if you can come up with any constructive ideas at all no matter how out there they may seem I would love to hear it. She is a beauty and hate to see her stressed like this?
Totally understandable you are worried

Still very strange you have 0 nitrate on 2 test kits

Can you show a pic of the water it maybe going throw a mini cycle

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Just Toby

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2010
Guildford UK
I have read many of the posts on here over the years like this and a common theme is "well water" be it ammonia or other, it seems to kill rays???

hereticlosmorte

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 1, 2010
Ontario, Canada
I have read many of the posts on here over the years like this and a common theme is "well water" be it ammonia or other, it seems to kill rays???
i skimmed over him saying he had well water. now that toby brings it up, have you ever had your well tested? it could have iron, sulphur, phosphate, bacteria colonies, etc in it doing harm to your fish.

i would personally be using an RO unit plus whatever else needed on a well. ie. a UV, iron filter if needed, sulphur filter, water softener, and so forth. not only for your fish, but also your well-being.

rlane

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 6, 2012
Morristown, NJ
Guys, I had the well tested about 5 months or so ago. The ph was 7.05 and after reviewing the results, the testing company said the water was clean enough to be bottled and sold. I am not an expert on well water but after doing some research it isn't unheard of for ph readings to jump after a major rain storm. This appears to be what happened as I changed the water the day after a monsoon.

I have brought the ph gradually down to 7.0 over the last 2 days and has now been at 7.0 for about 12 hours now, where it was prior to the massive water change. She still has not fed (now 2 days of eating nothing at all) but she is moving around a little more than she was yesterday and 2 days ago so I guess this is a good sign. She also seems to have gotten a tiny bit of her color back, although she has a long way to go. She does seem to be breathing a little bit harder than normal though.

hereticlosmorte

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 1, 2010
Ontario, Canada
that could do it. rain is terrible for not only altering ph, but adding unknown variables into the water source, like toxins, animal waste, other run-off, etc.
if she's still moving around, color is returning, give it a few days. rays can go quite a while without eating and sometimes starve/fast themselves.
if she's not showing pronounced signs of distress or curling, i wouldn't try doing things to compound the issue. sometimes the worst thing we can do is keep meddling, just need to step back on certain things.

rlane

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 6, 2012
Morristown, NJ
Hey guys, sorry to report back with bad news but she passed away yesterday. It looked like she was getting better too as when I left for work, the water parameters we good, she was moving a little bit more and gained some more color back. When I got home she had passed away. It was not a good day yesterday.

Lessons learned are;

1.) I will always check the water parameters out of my tap prior to doing a water change

2.) I will not do water changes during or right after a big storm

3.) instead of doing a massive 350-400 gallon water change I will do smaller changes more frequently?

the big question now is I was planning on hooking up a drip system, but now that I saw my well water fluctuate after the storm, if I had a drip system set up the same thing could happen again. Still need to get more input from more experienced people than myself?

its a real shame and I lots a spectacular ray- hopefully this never happens again and you guys never have it happen to you either.

Dieselhybrid

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2010
Here
Shot in the dark here, but are there any natural gas extraction (fracking) Wells near you? They are notorious for leaking chemicals into people's Wells.

My aunts horses lost all of their hair and their hooves began peeling after they fracked a well a couple miles from her home.

This is unlikely because other fish are not effected.

I'm very sorry for your loss. Many blessings

Sent from my SM-N900T using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

jim barry

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jun 21, 2006
U.K
Mate that sucks. Really sorry for your loss. Are your other fish ok?
Best of luck with working this out.
Drip systems are great. But not sure it would help with swings in PH though. Maybe you need to buffer the water to help keep PH stable, then add a drip system to your tank.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store