Ray Keepers--- DO YOU RUN A UV on your tank--and why?

cjfrontlovr

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Feb 10, 2006
denver,nc..
yes on all large tanks

MonsterMinis

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2009
Wisconsin
Nope, but they arent in their final tank either. ill prolly drop the money for their final tank to have one just for peace of mind.

Kwazy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 26, 2009
Colorado
same here. If you ever get trouble with "old tank syndrome" or just ammonia in general I've found it helps to turn it off because it can kill nitrifying bacteria floating around.

DB junkie

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa
yes on all large tanks
Can you share what sizes?

I'm not against them by any means, I'm just against the pricetag. It makes me sad. lol. Can't say I've heard anything but good things about them, so I imagine I'll be looking into one, or 4. :(

DavidW

INCOMING!!!
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2005
Manaus, Brasil
the thing about UV sterilizers is that you don't really need one...until you really need one...but of course by then it is usually too late because you didn't have one installed.

scott s

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 11, 2010
Indiana
Oh yes I run one now. Since I moved into my new place, we have had a water softner. My water has been cloudy ever since. It has drove me absolutely CRAZY!!!!:nilly: No matter how much water I changed, next day cloudy again! Two days ago I put on a pond filter with a 19W UV bulb built in. Two days later, the water is crystal clear:headbang2. Placed it between my return pump and the tank, works great!

DB junkie

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa
the thing about UV sterilizers is that you don't really need one...until you really need one...but of course by then it is usually too late because you didn't have one installed.

Just like those balloons sold in rest rooms.........

And if they just made each a little cheaper maybe, just maybe we'd all use them.

:)

peterp63

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2008
On a boat!
Oh yes I run one now. Since I moved into my new place, we have had a water softner. My water has been cloudy ever since. It has drove me absolutely CRAZY!!!!:nilly: No matter how much water I changed, next day cloudy again! Two days ago I put on a pond filter with a 19W UV bulb built in. Two days later, the water is crystal clear:headbang2. Placed it between my return pump and the tank, works great!
Sounds like your water is cloudy due to a bacteria bloom from a lack of nitrifying bacteria within your new filtration. The bacteria is there because your nitrogen (ammonia, nitrates) are high enough to sustain the bacteria in your filters AND the bacteria in the water column. The UV filter is killing the free floating bacteria, but I'm not sure if that'll be helpful to you in the long run.... just be careful and check your params to be sure - especially NH4.

ShadowStryder

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 4, 2007
Nunya
OK, say you guys convince me to use one. What size wattage wise and gph running through it should I use for 440g of water volume.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store