Ray Keepers--- DO YOU RUN A UV on your tank--and why?

kendragon

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2009
Just like those balloons sold in rest rooms.........

And if they just made each a little cheaper maybe, just maybe we'd all use them.

:)
Cheap may not give you the protection you need. :)

T1KARMANN

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
London UK
When rays get to breeding age or even if you have 2 males they will bite each other

A UVS cuts down the risk of infection meaning I have NEVER had the need to use salt if I posted a pic of my p14 female right now everyone would say add salt but I have very confident that with a UVS that I have no need to do anything and all the bites will heal just fine

If you have a chance to add something to your tank that is cheap to buy cheap to run and take only maintenance once or twice per year you must be crazy not to use one

Better to be safe than sorry

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

DB junkie

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa
If you have a chance to add something to your tank that is cheap to buy cheap to run and take only maintenance once or twice per year you must be crazy not to use one

Better to be safe than sorry

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
Put it like that and it sounds easy enough.

But take it to the tune of $1100-$1300, 180-240 watts on all the time, and $300 a year for new bulbs and all of a sudden it's not so easy. Just seems like a lot of money to spend when it seems like a split decision on having one. There's plenty of people here keeping rays that don't run them. Maybe just less stressfull enviroments?

Blkpiranha

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 8, 2007
Run a turbo twist 36 watt on my 450 gallon. No it doesn't need to be 180 watts plus!!! Originally put it on to combat a bacteria bloom in the tank. Keeps the water crystal clear and I don't use any carbon!! My stingrays are nipping each other and the injuries never get infected and heal nice without salt. Just regular water changes. Definitely not expensive as some people would like to believe and the bulb is only $60. But then again I don't cheap out on my rays! I just want to buy rays for cheap!! :) Good investment and works in more ways then one for me!!

scott s

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 11, 2010
Indiana
Sounds like your water is cloudy due to a bacteria bloom from a lack of nitrifying bacteria within your new filtration. The bacteria is there because your nitrogen (ammonia, nitrates) are high enough to sustain the bacteria in your filters AND the bacteria in the water column. The UV filter is killing the free floating bacteria, but I'm not sure if that'll be helpful to you in the long run.... just be careful and check your params to be sure - especially NH4.
You would think that, but my filteration system (moving K1 filter bed) has been up and running for 1 year+. Only thing different was a move to a different place and only thing different here is a water softner. I believe the culprit is indirect sunlight. No problem now.:) The crystal clear water and added benifit of killing harmful bacteria has me sold! Cost was under $300 for a pond filter with UV (19 watt). Great investment.

spotfin

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2006
Maine
I don't have one.

T1KARMANN

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
London UK
Put it like that and it sounds easy enough.

But take it to the tune of $1100-$1300, 180-240 watts on all the time, and $300 a year for new bulbs and all of a sudden it's not so easy. Just seems like a lot of money to spend when it seems like a split decision on having one. There's plenty of people here keeping rays that don't run them. Maybe just less stressfull enviroments?
were the hell do you get your prices from

you can buy a second hand TMC vectron 25w for £25 on ebay even if its broken the parts are cheap new hose tails £4 each new quatz sleeve £12 new rings £1 the pair new tube changed every year made by arcadia £15

a 25w uv can push 1700 lph throw it

if you run 2 3 4 back to back its only 100w max

no wonder you dont have one if you think they cost that much

look at this ADD SALT ADD SALT why i have a UV

DB junkie

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa
were the hell do you get your prices from

you can buy a second hand TMC vectron 25w for £25 on ebay even if its broken the parts are cheap new hose tails £4 each new quatz sleeve £12 new rings £1 the pair new tube changed every year made by arcadia £15

a 25w uv can push 1700 lph throw it

if you run 2 3 4 back to back its only 100w max

no wonder you dont have one if you think they cost that much

look at this ADD SALT ADD SALT why i have a UV

Where the hell are you getting the size you need for a given tank?

I don't care about some free floating algae. Buying a lil bitty couple watt UV isn't gonna do anything but kill algae. I could care less about algae. We're talking about UVs that actually kill the bad stuff.

Here's a link for you.

http://www.aquaticeco.com/subcatego...rs?green=688A09A9-0F2D-5FC8-B769-FDC633D3BC08

Not real cheap, but then again it is only for a 700 gallon tank.

Bulbs are $104 each if you're wondering what it costs to replace them after the 375 days they're good for.

Silent Bob

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 25, 2011
Plainfield, IL
Which is why I have not purchased 1 or 2 or 3 or 4. No matter how many you stack together it is still a 25 watt bulb. If said piece of bacteria can survive 50 watts no matter how many 25 watt bulbs you have it is still passing thru 25 watts.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store