Razorback Musk Turtle Feeding?

gazelle

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 29, 2009
USA
fishy12;4069177; said:
What kind of turtles an what size? I dont think a full grown turtle would last in there?
maybe not 2 but i know 1 could because Razorback Musks grow 5 - 6 inches and are mostly aquatic so uhhh yeah

gazelle

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 29, 2009
USA
coura;4069251; said:
I mostly agree with with your statments however for a turtle that has a relutant apetite it is not recomended by any means to remove it from its home to keep it clean, that only stresses the turtle. Also DONT feed dog or cat food to any turtle, thouse are full of fats, low in calcium and high in phosphorus, exacly the oposite of what turtles should get. Tetra reptomin already has all the vitamins and minerals the turtle needs for now, so if it acepts it or any other high quality pellet there is no need to ad more suplements. Small crayfish, salmon, bloodworms, earthworms and prawns are all great aditives and very good to estimulate a turtle to eat.
Finely the 2 times the shell length water deeph is a myth, this turtles in the wild easily handle much deeper water, go for 17 cm of water for exampl. Also it is very important to make shure the turt has good conditions of privacy with fake aquatic plants, a big chunk of cork, etc.

ok good read haha many questions though
i put in fake floating plants at the surface of his tank.
what does the chunk of cork do?
and for crayfish do i break off the claws?
and my turtles doesnt seem to be willing to swim to the top after pellets so does tetra make sinking reptomin?

thanks

coura

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2008
europe
gazelle;4071539; said:
ok good read haha many questions though
i put in fake floating plants at the surface of his tank.
what does the chunk of cork do?
and for crayfish do i break off the claws?
and my turtles doesnt seem to be willing to swim to the top after pellets so does tetra make sinking reptomin?

thanks
The cork and the plants are for privacy and the cork also works well as a basking platform. The crayfish have to be really small ones, if you cant get hold of thouse simply use small frozen shrimp made for fish. Try also live earthworms. If your turtle doesant seem willing to swim you can do this: pulverize reptomin pellets into a powder and mix it with grounded turkey or chicken (like the meat used to make hamburgers) into small chunks. Use only one at the time, and if need be leave it there to see if the turt eats it true the day.

gazelle

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 29, 2009
USA
coura;4071788; said:
The cork and the plants are for privacy and the cork also works well as a basking platform. The crayfish have to be really small ones, if you cant get hold of thouse simply use small frozen shrimp made for fish. Try also live earthworms. If your turtle doesant seem willing to swim you can do this: pulverize reptomin pellets into a powder and mix it with grounded turkey or chicken (like the meat used to make hamburgers) into small chunks. Use only one at the time, and if need be leave it there to see if the turt eats it true the day.

ok ill try that what exactly is cork though? like a cork on a bottle? cus thats all I can thinhk of.

Ill try out the hamburger idea i guess i have some leftover meat frmo a campout....

coura

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2008
europe
Cork, you know tick floating tree bark from a specific species of tree

gazelle

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 29, 2009
USA
haha no idea i think I know what your talking about I doubt my lfs has any or my petsmart >.<

West1

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Sep 27, 2007
I have one. Got it when it was about 2" Diam. Currently about 3-4" and always eating. I feed him mainly Market Shrimp. once a week I do Massivore Delight, squash and lettuce. My guy at from day one. He can bask on top of a pc of driftwood but I dont ever see him doing it except his body in the water and bairly sticking his heat out for air... thats it. But he does have the option to do so :)

gazelle

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 29, 2009
USA
West1;4078994; said:
I have one. Got it when it was about 2" Diam. Currently about 3-4" and always eating. I feed him mainly Market Shrimp. once a week I do Massivore Delight, squash and lettuce. My guy at from day one. He can bask on top of a pc of driftwood but I dont ever see him doing it except his body in the water and bairly sticking his heat out for air... thats it. But he does have the option to do so :)

yeah I find mine dont bask like other species do. I got another one. This ones smaller and attacks food right away. :grinno::grinno:

RoseTyler

Feeder Fish
Sep 4, 2015
maybe not 2 but i know 1 could because Razorback Musks grow 5 - 6 inches and are mostly aquatic so uhhh yeah
Actually even for one adult razorback musk, you want at minimum a 20 gallon tank. for two musks, you want minimum a 30-40 gallon tank, bigger being always better as long as it is long and shallow instead of tall and narrow. Right now I have one Razorback musk in a 55 gallon tank with different pieces of driftwood, water heisinth (sp?), red leaf lettuce floating, a semi-big hollow fake log that has one end more open than the other with the more open end leading up to the surface that he likes to hide in, a piece of wood angled from the floor to the top of the tank to climb up on to the surface, two filters (this is until I can afford a good high end filter), an MVB as the basking and UVB source, floating rooted plants to help eliminate nitrogen etc and as a floating foraging spot for the feeder guppies, and the floating rooted plants are kept afloat by a flat plastic piece with holes in it for the plant containers (all safe for aquariums) that the razorback can swim up to and rest on if he wishes. Mine gets fed the feeder guppies and ghost shrimp (as he wishes since they live in there with him), sinking pellets with krill additives, red leaf lettuce (that, again, is just floating along the surface for him), snails (also living in the tank), crickets once in a while, mealworms once in a blue moon, earthworms, bloodworms, blackworms, duckweed and other aquatic plants. I have nylon socks stretched over the intake portion of the filters with the filter lid in-between the intake and the nylon as a cheap home made sponge filter so that the baby ghost shrimp too small for me to see do not get sucked up into the filter and killed (I know they're breeding because I've seen the females carrying eggs).

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store