Really cool Shimano gear

fish_sauce

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 24, 2009
Taiwan
So, I've been living in Taiwan for a few years. Besides catching snakeheads, I also find some really cool Shimano gear here from Japan that you would not get in the states. The stuff there is all the lower end Shimano stuff, as well as a very, very limited selection. I'm moving back to Cali in a year. Before I move back, I'll be stocking up on some gear. Here are a couple pics of things you won't find there.

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
Nice!

What kind of a fight do these things put up?

Did you release it or eat it? If eaten, how do they taste?

fish_sauce

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 24, 2009
Taiwan
Nice!

They fight like bass on steroids. These snakeheads destroy lures, literally. They bend spinnerbaits out of shape after one fish, and will mess up treble hooks on crankbaits, and usually destroy plastics after just one fish.
I tried eating it once, but will not again. It's not so much the taste, but more of a pain in the butte to clean. Their scales are tough, and hard to cut open.

fish_sauce

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 24, 2009
Taiwan
Shimano Bass One XT. A lower end bait casting reel, but much, much better than the lower end Shimano bait casters in the states.

20150522_204842.jpg

fish_sauce

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 24, 2009
Taiwan
Nice!

Also forgot to mention. I will never look at bass fishing the same way anymore. The only reason I'll even go bass fishing again is to teach my two little nephews back home how to fish. Otherwise, bass just seem too boring after catching snakeheads.

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
Also forgot to mention. I will never look at bass fishing the same way anymore. The only reason I'll even go bass fishing again is to teach my two little nephews back home how to fish. Otherwise, bass just seem too boring after catching snakeheads.
I have to agree. While the large mouth bass is the most popular freshwater game fish in the US, I find it, ounce for ounce, it is one of the weakest figthing fish. Don't get me wrong, a hit on the line is a hit on the line and will get the adrenaline pumping every time regardless of the species :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store