Recommend quieter pump than ap100

Torchia32

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
California
Another really quiet air pump I have used over the years is the Whisper 60 made by Tetra...WalMart has always had them...these air pumps work great and if you set them on a sponge or rubber mat are super quiet.
One thing to remember when dealing with any diaphragm air pump is vibration is actually how they work. An alternating voltage coil drives a lever attached to a rubber diaphragm pulling and pushing the air. The coil is sometimes adjustable but the noise of the diaphragm remains. This noise then travels...yes, actually travels, through the airline. Now, I have had success quieting the airstream using a heavy duty airline and insulating the air pump, but experimentation really is what is needed to get that pump quiet. After I got tired if the challenge, I just switched over to venturi aeration.
Will the whisper be powerful enough to fluidize 75 liters of k1 kaldness? I have been using the ap100 but I don't even have the valve halfway open so don't need that much power my main request is it is quiet but does need to fluidize the bed

boldtogether

Polypterus
MFK Member
Sep 25, 2008
chino hills, california
Okay, wait a minute, are we talking air or water? I guess I misunderstood the tread..."roger" mentioned air and I just ran with it...I actuall haven't heard of ap100....
okay, reset.
75L of k1 is....nearly 20 gallons....thats a LOT....or is it pounds? 75L equals...
Anyway, it's quite a bit and my confusion doesn't help...
it has been my experience with fluidized bed filters that a water pump moves the media far better and waay quieter than air ever would. I would get a QuietOne 3 or 4,000, pinch the discharge side down with a valve to adjust flow and a small airpump to introduce air into the media....

Torchia32

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
California
My setup is all dialed in using air all I want to do is change my ap100 with something quieter. Even half the power would probably be efficient

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store