Red Cherry Shrimp

spotfin

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2006
Maine
I would'nt bother with the cherry shrimp. They are rather small for Ray food and it will take awhile to grow enough of them. The self cloning crayfish might be a better choice. They grow fast and reproduce often. I kept some a few years ago as ray food.

joe jaskot

Dovii
MFK Member
Sep 16, 2011
Clifton, NJ
I would'nt bother with the cherry shrimp. They are rather small for Ray food and it will take awhile to grow enough of them. The self cloning crayfish might be a better choice. They grow fast and reproduce often. I kept some a few years ago as ray food.
I agree. They do reproduce and grow quickly.

T1KARMANN

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
London UK
I know the getting stuck in pump intakes is my only worry. My pumps have strainers on but not good enough to stop a shrimp getting sucked in.
I already keep worms, just want to get as much variation in the diet as possible.
Don't you just buy river shrimp from the LFS

I used to buy it every now and then but you need a shed load for 1 feed mine can kill £10 worth easy
But the problem is a lot of it goes over the weir into the sump and when it dies it puffs up like cotton wool and messes up the sump

I think you would need to grow loads and it would be hard to grow the amount you need

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

jim barry

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jun 21, 2006
U.K
Yeah you are probably right Richard, just wondering what else i can feed as something a little different.
Don't you just buy river shrimp from the LFS

I used to buy it every now and then but you need a shed load for 1 feed mine can kill £10 worth easy
But the problem is a lot of it goes over the weir into the sump and when it dies it puffs up like cotton wool and messes up the sump

I think you would need to grow loads and it would be hard to grow the amount you need

jstehman

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2012
Omaha, NE
I was thinking of doing the crayfish too. But then realized demand would outweigh supply soon enough.

Worm bin is a great idea.

signature
-----------------------------------------------------------

"And if I can't have everything, well then just give me a taste"

MHDevelopments

Polypterus
MFK Member
May 13, 2014
Suffolk
www.m-h-developments.co.uk
Yeah you are probably right Richard, just wondering what else i can feed as something a little different.
Do rays consume freshwater molluscs? Thinking perhaps not as they may not get past the shells.

Don't know how plentiful freshwater swan mussels are?

As a treat I used to offer my rays scallops every now and then which they loved but a bit pricey

doyboy

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2010
essex uk
Do rays consume freshwater molluscs? Thinking perhaps not as they may not get past the shells.

Don't know how plentiful freshwater swan mussels are?

As a treat I used to offer my rays scallops every now and then which they loved but a bit pricey

Scallops I like the cut of your jib bud, the pearls won't touch fresh water shrimp but love a frozen whole shrimp with the shell and head still on

Sent from my SM-G900F using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

T1KARMANN

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
London UK
They love mussel but they are a bit messy if defrosted first

I tried throwing in some frozen mussel but the aro done his usual thing grabbing and chewing so still made a mess I don't want my aro eating mussel so stopped feeding it

yargnits

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 19, 2011
Leeds, UK.
cant you put filter foam over the problem areas to stop the shrimp gettting sucked up ?

i have quantities of worms on had quite often but i do have problems keeping them alive. any tips ?

back to the shrimp thing someone said the cherry shrimp are a bit small and i think i would agree. i kept them for a while (although not for bait/food) and i think it might be a bit slow for low rewards.
the crafish sound like a good idea. i bred those a long time ago too and they grow faster and larger. not considered them as food/bait but it sounds like a good idea. they can pinch a bit but the rays are tough so im sure they would be fine. ... in my experience they can be canabilistic, which causes obvious problems.

jstehman

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2012
Omaha, NE
You would be better off setting up a dedicated shrimp/cray tank with a sponge filter if you were to seriously comtemplate raising these for food.

signature
-----------------------------------------------------------

"And if I can't have everything, well then just give me a taste"

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store