Red Cherry Shrimp

brich999

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2010
New Hampshire
Ive always bred ghost shrimp in my sumps. They thrive on the detritus and dont mind 1000x turnover apparently. When cleaning my sump I would remove the sponges to clean them and loads would get sent into the main tank for a snack. I know rcs breed easily but I thought they were more algae eaters than scavangers like ghost shrimp.

I have heard they need salt to breed but it is either a lie or only applies to one of the types of shrimp sold as ghost shrimp. Amano are the only ones I know cannot be bred and raised in fw

jim barry

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jun 21, 2006
U.K
They love mussel but they are a bit messy if defrosted first

I tried throwing in some frozen mussel but the aro done his usual thing grabbing and chewing so still made a mess I don't want my aro eating mussel so stopped feeding it

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
I have always feed mussel defrosted. I cut them in half before throwing in tank and the just disappear no mess left

jim barry

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jun 21, 2006
U.K
Ive always bred ghost shrimp in my sumps. They thrive on the detritus and dont mind 1000x turnover apparently. When cleaning my sump I would remove the sponges to clean them and loads would get sent into the main tank for a snack. I know rcs breed easily but I thought they were more algae eaters than scavangers like ghost shrimp.

I have heard they need salt to breed but it is either a lie or only applies to one of the types of shrimp sold as ghost shrimp. Amano are the only ones I know cannot be bred and raised in fw
Like that idea where do you get this sort of shrimp from and did you just let them get sucked into your pump then?

brich999

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2010
New Hampshire
They were sold at my lfs as ghost shrimp. I have read that multiple types of shrimp are sold as ghost shrimp so im guessing this is where the salt myth started but all the ones ive had bred fine in pure fw. And yes I just let them get sucked in the pump and into the main tank when cleaning. Some would stay in the sump to keep breeding. I also noticed my sump was much cleaner without any detritus buildup. The most surprising was how many I found in the display of my old 500g when breaking it down. Probably over 100 in a tank filled with monster predators and almost no hiding spots.

Pomatomus

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 7, 2009
Sarasota, FL
Ghost shrimp do not need brackish water to breed, but they do have a free-swimming larval stage that will get filtered out unless you're running sponges on all of the intakes. Cherry shrimp and other neocardinia shrimp only release their young when they are postlarvae, resembling a miniature adult.

I agree that they're kinda small to make a dent in your fish's nutrition. They are usually less than 1" and it's not like they reproduce THAT fast. IMO if you're not gonna breed them to sell, just get some mixed neocardinas. They are usually a bit cheaper, but a little less colorful. Segrest offers them.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store