Red Garnet Sand on Etsy

rigby

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 29, 2020
Oh!! That's gorgeous!! Yes I'm in socal!!
The place is called Blast Coat Systems Inc. Right now they are doing curbside pickup. I had to call and make the order over phone. I was in their parking lot when I made the order and they had it out in 5-10 minutes. The grit size I was hoping for was 20/40, but I went with 20/60 since it was the only size available.

Reactions: EnbyNewbie

clm08k

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 31, 2016
It can cause impaction in some cases, but generally, sand is passed easily, unless your fish eats a LOT
gravel or rocks that can fit in their mouth are what would cause impaction. Sand is typically okay.
They might swallow a bit of sand occasionally when feeding. I haven't heard any issues with this though. Can fish get pica?

EnbyNewbie

Exodon
MFK Member
Oct 17, 2020
The place is called Blast Coat Systems Inc. Right now they are doing curbside pickup. I had to call and make the order over phone. I was in their parking lot when I made the order and they had it out in 5-10 minutes. The grit size I was hoping for was 20/40, but I went with 20/60 since it was the only size available.
Alright, I made an inquiry for the Barton 36cg and 30/40 on some sites that ship local to me, so if they don't get back to me, I'll definitely check them out!! Thank you so much!

EnbyNewbie

Exodon
MFK Member
Oct 17, 2020
gravel or rocks that can fit in their mouth are what would cause impaction. Sand is typically okay.
They might swallow a bit of sand occasionally when feeding. I haven't heard any issues with this though. Can fish get pica?
Yeah, but I've had a couple puffers who used to LOVE to eat sand for some reason and one died of impaction, I know it's typically bigger things, but it can do some damage if your fish likes sand! I think fish can get pica, but idk if it's intentional, they might just do it for fun lol

clm08k

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 31, 2016
Yeah, but I've had a couple puffers who used to LOVE to eat sand for some reason and one died of impaction, I know it's typically bigger things, but it can do some damage if your fish likes sand! I think fish can get pica, but idk if it's intentional, they might just do it for fun lol
oh no! That's so crazy. Thank you for educating me on the matter. I love puffers and sorry to hear about your loss. Definitely agree with some of them eating sand for fun or other reasons. I have an albino sen who used to forage for Sea Chem fertilizer tabs too smh. He's the best though :)

EnbyNewbie

Exodon
MFK Member
Oct 17, 2020
oh no! That's so crazy. Thank you for educating me on the matter. I love puffers and sorry to hear about your loss. Definitely agree with some of them eating sand for fun or other reasons. I have an albino sen who used to forage for Sea Chem fertilizer tabs too smh. He's the best though :)
Aww that's adorable!! I love sens, they're so goofy, my old one used to bite the marimo to just move them around for some reason!

Reactions: clm08k

twentyleagues

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2017
Flint town!
Alright, I made an inquiry for the Barton 36cg and 30/40 on some sites that ship local to me, so if they don't get back to me, I'll definitely check them out!! Thank you so much!
Shipping is probably going to hurt....alot! Quite a few people in socal use garnet sand. You've got to have a dealer you can go to. When I emailed barton they found me a place in ohio that sells their products about 5.5hrs away. I tried contacting them but no answer back. Another place said they'd ship me a pallet if I wanted $1250 shipping, I think it was 40 bags at like $15 each......... I guess I could have sold the majority of the bags for $50 each if I had the upfront money.

EnbyNewbie

Exodon
MFK Member
Oct 17, 2020
Shipping is probably going to hurt....alot! Quite a few people in socal use garnet sand. You've got to have a dealer you can go to. When I emailed barton they found me a place in ohio that sells their products about 5.5hrs away. I tried contacting them but no answer back. Another place said they'd ship me a pallet if I wanted $1250 shipping, I think it was 40 bags at like $15 each......... I guess I could have sold the majority of the bags for $50 each if I had the upfront money.
Oh that really sucks, sorry to hear that :(, there's a place about 33 miles away from me called GlassBlast that has Barton sand, so I think shipping is gonna be ok, if not, I can just take a drive there!

Reactions: twentyleagues

Sassafras

Dovii
MFK Member
Feb 17, 2009
SE USA
Garnet sand is used for such things as sand blasting and sandpaper. There are many colors based on source. I use it in one of my tanks and believe it is heavier than silica sand. Just to show you the difference, this is the look/color I was after:
Garnet Media correct type.JPG
When I ordered from Zoro, this is what I got:
Garnet Media wrong type.JPG

Garnet, but a completely different look than I expected. I had to order a smaller grain size to get the color I wanted. Here is a shot (blurred) of the tank I set up with it. Would have tried a better current photo, but the plants have taken over and you can barely see the garnet sand now.
IMG_1628 (2).JPG

Reactions: tlindsey
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store