Reef to River

makbarracuda

Gambusia
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2008
virginia
What is the correct scientific name for these cats. They appear to have two names. One puts them in the class with channel cats and the other puts them in the class with bullheads. All over the Internet they are known just as white catfish though cause of theforked tail as opposed to rounded square shaped. And the pea sized sharp ridged snail is a baby of the jtds. They give live birth to one every week or so.

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
What is the correct scientific name for these cats. They appear to have two names. One puts them in the class with channel cats and the other puts them in the class with bullheads. All over the Internet they are known just as white catfish though cause of theforked tail as opposed to rounded square shaped. And the pea sized sharp ridged snail is a baby of the jtds. They give live birth to one every week or so.
Ameiurus catus. Their morphology is much more similar to Bullheads in every aspect except the forked tail. But they are definitely not an Ictalurus sp., just look at the structure of the head.

Cu554

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 27, 2015
Vermont
I bought 10 fathead minnows yesterday and added them to the tank today. One of them didn't make it through the hydrogen peroxide dip so I am left with 9. The are very cool, active fish and personable fish. I also aded some blackworms today. I am hoping they will survive and act as a clean up crew.

Reactions: AR577

TankDempsey

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 28, 2012
Third rock from the sun
Very nice! I think a pickerel would look very cool in here with the type of driftwood you have. And if I could make a suggestion, Green sunfish have a very similar shape/personality to rock bass, and IMO have the coolest coloration of all the sunfish.

Cu554

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 27, 2015
Vermont
My plants weren't do to good and I think it is because of the low nutrients and low CO2 levels in my tank. I added a few snooks to keepthe plants happy until I get my US natives in their. If the video doesn't show up it might still be processing.

[video=youtube;5sfmcXQKCiA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5sfmcXQKCiA[/video]

Very nice! I think a pickerel would look very cool in here with the type of driftwood you have. And if I could make a suggestion, Green sunfish have a very similar shape/personality to rock bass, and IMO have the coolest coloration of all the sunfish.
Of course you can make a suggestion, I actually welcome them. I saw someone posted pictures of a green sunfish and they look very nice. I was going to order a redtail pickerel that was on aquabid. I was in Vermont snowboarding so I didn't want to order it. The fish was gone when I got back.

Cu554

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 27, 2015
Vermont
the type of driftwood you have.
I just noticed this. I think the wood is pretty cool. Most of it has never been submerged until my tank, but it is the same type of wood that is in the lake. The parks department was collecting all the wood on the ground by the lake to make saw dust with. They let me shift their stock and take what I want. I must of looked pretty stupid in the back of their pickup shifting through wood.

If you let the braches soak for 10 minutes you are able to twist them together. It's firm enough to hold it's shape well but flexible enough to manipulate a little, but you can't change the basic shape to much.

Cu554

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 27, 2015
Vermont
About a month ago, on May 4, I picked up 9 assorted sunfish. 1 died so I am down to 8. I didn't want the snooks to eat them so I kept them in here for a few weeks.

A couple of weeks ago I removed the snooks and it was a pain in the ass. I ended up removing all the wood to get them out. I just tossed the wood back in. This weekend I will arrange everything again. The moving of everything also caused a bacteria bloom.

I traded the snooks in for a blue crayfish and a red crayfish. Last week I added a what I think is a brown bullhead. I am pretty happy with the stock now 2 crayfish, 8 sunfish, 3 white catfish, 1 brown bullhead. Once I finish up my saltwater pond and when these fish grow a little bigger I am going to move them to something outdoors. The only thing I plan on adding is a couple of American Eels.

Last edited:
Reactions: lax22 and AR577
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store