Singapore
Poor pacu, someone buy him already. LOL

Jay88

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 23, 2010
Australia
Juxtaroberto;4868692; said:
This is terrible logic. Pacus are hardy fish, much like humans are hardy mammals. Both can survive pretty atrocious conditions, but that doesn't mean they should be placed in such.

There is always gonna be arguments about things.... ppl with bigger tanks will say "NO IT CAN ONLY BE HEALTHY IN A BIGGER TANK" ppl with smaller tanks will say "No its fine in a smaller tank"...

Always two sides.

I agree pacu's should NEVER be put in such a small tank due to their size, and yes if you do keep a human in a closet... without proper oxygen or food, the human will most likely have a brain stroke.

jlnguyen74

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2007
United Species of Arowana
Juxtaroberto;4868692; said:
This is terrible logic. Pacus are hardy fish, much like humans are hardy mammals. Both can survive pretty atrocious conditions, but that doesn't mean they should be placed in such.
Now, this is terrible logic! A pacu in a 75gal tank is not atrocious condition, as long as the tank is well maintained, and the water is clear, in optimum condition. A fish can't live 39 yearsold in "atrocious condition," no matter how hardy it is. Same as a human or any animal. Survive may be, but not live for 39 yearsold.

Jay88

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 23, 2010
Australia
jlnguyen74;4868792; said:
Now, this is terrible logic! A pacu in a 75gal tank is not atrocious condition, as long as the tank is well maintained, and the water is clear, in optimum condition. A fish can't live 39 yearsold in "atrocious condition," no matter how hardy it is. Same as a human or any animal. Survive may be, but not live for 39 yearsold.

yeah, i was not saying its a RIGHT thing to do, but you can not make the personality of every pacu to be the same... this guys lived so long... if your stressed...living in bad conditions... your life span will be less... its science.

Juxtaroberto

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jan 1, 2009
Los Angeles, CA, USA
Jay88;4868753; said:
There is always gonna be arguments about things.... ppl with bigger tanks will say "NO IT CAN ONLY BE HEALTHY IN A BIGGER TANK" ppl with smaller tanks will say "No its fine in a smaller tank"...

Always two sides.

I agree pacu's should NEVER be put in such a small tank due to their size, and yes if you do keep a human in a closet... without proper oxygen or food, the human will most likely have a brain stroke.
Thankfully, we can use an objective, non-opinion based approach to determine what size tank would be proper for a Pacu: the length of the fish. We know these fish can reach 3', and we also know they are big and bulky and release a lot of waste. Taking this into consideration, we can determine you'd need a bare minimum of 6x3, and even then you'd have trouble keeping the nitrates down.

Water quality may be good (which I honestly doubt, by the looks of that Pacu), but swimming area is just as important. Keeping a living being in an enclosure so small that the animal never reaches its proper size is most definitely atrocious. I am sure that if you kept the water quality good, the Pacu would definitely survive, but you also need to take into consideration how this fish has become stunted by its tank.

Juxtaroberto

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jan 1, 2009
Los Angeles, CA, USA
Jay88;4868931; said:
yeah, i was not saying its a RIGHT thing to do, but you can not make the personality of every pacu to be the same... this guys lived so long... if your stressed...living in bad conditions... your life span will be less... its science.
Less than what? How many people actually know a captive Pacu's life expectancy?

spadoc79

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 24, 2010
tallahassee, florida

would you like to live 39 years in a closet?

jlnguyen74

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2007
United Species of Arowana
Juxtaroberto;4869125; said:
Thankfully, we can use an objective, non-opinion based approach to determine what size tank would be proper for a Pacu: the length of the fish. We know these fish can reach 3', and we also know they are big and bulky and release a lot of waste. Taking this into consideration, we can determine you'd need a bare minimum of 6x3, and even then you'd have trouble keeping the nitrates down.

Water quality may be good (which I honestly doubt, by the looks of that Pacu), but swimming area is just as important. Keeping a living being in an enclosure so small that the animal never reaches its proper size is most definitely atrocious. I am sure that if you kept the water quality good, the Pacu would definitely survive, but you also need to take into consideration how this fish has become stunted by its tank.
Have you ever seen a 3-ft pacu or have you ever known another 39 yearsold pacu?

spadoc79;4869133; said:
would you like to live 39 years in a closet?
Would you live/last 39 years in a closet?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store