Status
Not open for further replies.

CoryWM

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 13, 2008
Everett, Washington
www.tankgeek.com
Gosh in the end no matter how courteous you try to sound in a debate one always sounds like a jerk, especially in text form! Reading my last long post I think I'm a pretentious prick, lol. Inflection fail!:confused:
Kami, you've basically said what I think. I too have fed foods that were "quality ingredients" and yet it was really hard to get my fish to eat it. When you're dealing with 50+ tanks and only 6 of them will eat it and 44 wont. That's just not an option.

I'm sorry to say that I'm not the scientific test kind of guy. Mine are always practice. Heres how I test my food.

before step one - Ingredients, within the realm of possibility?
1. Will they eat it?
2. Are the fish thriving?
3. What is the waste load after feeding the food for a time. More maintenance is a downside.
4. Is this better than the food I was already feeding? Does it make time and money sense?

There are things in this hobby that on paper don't make sense. But in practice they can. My best example is beef heart for discus. Really this couldn't be farther from nature. You're not gonna see a discus tear the heart out of a cow. In practice there are many breeders who use beef heart with discus.

There are still heated debates over this today, I can only imagine what it was like when the concept was new.

At the end of the day, if you have a guy who can't breed discus with any food he's tried, and he tries beef heart and the fish do breed. Guess what wins in his mind? No matter how good all the other foods are, they aren't performing.

I'm in the same camp, at the end of the day if feeding my fish plastic groceries bags gets them to spawn and thrive and live a great life, I'd do it. Every day there is a new study that says strawberries, or broccoli is killing us, then a year late they say it actually is the key to fighting off cancer. Then 5 years later they say actually it does nothing, it's a well balanced diet etc.

The point is, science is always changing. What we know now is only a fraction of what we'll know in 10 years. The aquaculture hobby is growing by leaps and bounds every year and leading to innovation. One way for an average Joe like me to make that leap is to try new things, because I don't have the means to take the baby steps forward.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
kamika - I have clearly stated, several times at this point, that everyone here is free to feed their fish what they please. I have also stated (a few times now) that gel foods can have their applications under certain circumstances. There is no argument there, nor am I holding a gun to anyones head & forcing them to do anything that they don't want to do. :grinno:

And I completely agree with what Cory just stated, it doesn't matter how premium a food is or isn't, if your fish won't eat it. Not every species of fish kept in captivity will eat pellet food - and I reckon some won't eat gel food either. I've seen a few that will only eat crickets, to the point that they would probably starve to death before accepting anything else.

And as Cory previously stated, for some folks time, money, and the fact that they can't always be there to feed fry/juvies is also a factor, one that you have also referred to - which is why I posted the youtube videos a few posts back. There are other options available for those that that can't always "be there", or for those who prefer to save time, or want more convenience for their personal time schedule. If one feels that gel food will provide more optimum results than those other options, no problem, feed gel food.

I also have no problem when a hobbyist makes assumptions, or posts certain factoids without any real foundation, or merit, I don't expect the average layperson to understand all of the various things that factor into nutrient levels, and the various types of foods on the market. Having said that, I feel that professionals that work within this industry should be held to a higher standard, including myself. My concern is how some of the so called "facts" in this discussion have been presented.

I don't need to name brand A, B or C when it comes to using the term nutrient dense pellets, clearly there are lower quality pellets on the market, and I would think that it would be obvious that those types of feed wouldn't fall under the category of "nutrient dense premium food". The phantom as you refered to it, is "any" quality pellet, how one defines quality is up to the end user.

As far as powder vs pellets, amigo you honestly have no idea what you are talking about. Talk to some professionals within the industry, perhaps a few feed mill reps, and you might begin to understand some of this. On a DMB the ash content in the "herbivore" gel mix is listed higher than what's in the pellets that I feed. Not that I have a problem with that, I'm just sayin ....

I also didn't "attack" the dry powdered food. LOL As previously stated, there are "dry powder" fry foods already on the market, including one by the company that I deal with. Please re-read my previous comment about this so that I don't have to keep going in reverse. I'm not sure what kind of imaginary "powder process" you have created in your mind, but that's the only place that it exists. Not all feed mill operations have the machinery to make fine micron sized food, but some do. Either way, it's "manufacturered" in the exact same manner as a pellet food, so nutrient values are retained, or lost, in the exact same manner as well. It's simply ground into a finer particulate size.

Knowing a couple of vitamin reps doesn't qualify you to understand or speak on the values, or bioavailability of vitamins in dry fish food. C'mon now. There are decades of research available on this subject with regards to fish, and what you have stated with regards to much of the integrity of the vitamins being sacrificed is simply not true.

Certainly the ideal situation is to have the vast majority of the vitamin & mineral content coming directly from the raw ingredients themselves, which in a quality food will be the case. The key factor regarding vitamins is their bio-availability to the fish, so a smart manufacturer will make sure that the raw ingredients themselves contain an ample amount of all of the various vitamins & minerals known to be required by all species of fish that we currently have data available for, and will supplement beyond that to maximize the total potential bio-availability to the fish. Think of the latter as a safety net.

It is a common misconception that the majority of vitamins are destroyed during processing, which simply is not true. Some certainly, which is why it's a good idea to have a safety net in place. As long as a manufacturer takes into account that a certain percentage of some vitamins will be lost during the manufacturing process, and formulates their vitamin supplementation with this in mind, adjusting the ratios accordingly, there will be no problems. If there was, we would all have a lot of malnourished & sick fish swimming around in our tanks.

As previously posted;

Amino acids, several vitamins, and inorganic nutrients are relatively stable to heat, moisture, and oxidation that occur under normal processing and storage conditions. Some of the vitamins are subject to some loss, however, and should be used in excess of the requirement." (NRC Nutrient Requirements of Fish 1993)
<------------ which is pretty much the bible when it comes to commercial feed mill operations.

I've read nutritional analysis reports on various pellets at post production levels, performed by non-biased 3rd party accredited institutions, so I'm well aware of what I am talking about. How bioavailable those nutrients are when fed to a fish is difficult to argue, as again it will vary from species to species.

Which leads me to my next point.

Carbohydrates are not "lost" on fish as you put it, but how much carbs a fish can assimilate or fully utilize will be species dependant. Some fish can clearly utilize higher inclusion rates of carbs than others, some as much as 30-40%, others probably less than 10%, but I don't know of a single ornamental species of fish that cannot utilize anycarbohydrate. Even the carnivores & piscivores that have been studied in aquaculture have been shown to produce enzymes such as amylase, and proven to be able to assimilate certain quantities of carbs in their diet. That doesn't mean that all carbs are equal in nutrient value, or that one should use excessive amounts of carbs in a fishes diet, but it also doesn't mean that one should throw the baby out with the bath water. In fish foods, carbs have a few basic roles, one as a binding agent, and the other to supply a source of energy. They have also been shown to help synthesize both lipids & protein.

To think that anyone can simply look at a label, crunch some numbers, and somehow come up with exact inclusion rates, the bioavailability of nutrients, or quite frankly have any idea what is taking place behind the scenes is a bit naive to say the least. Some manufacturers hold certain cards very close to their chest for a reason, and aren't handing anything out on a silver platter for the competition to see.

As far as grazers, and nutrient absorption & utilization of nutrients. Again, this is highly variable among species of fish, and what they are being fed. Carnivores/piscivores don't "graze", and most fish in the wild are opportunistic feeders. When feed is abundant they gorge, when feed is not abundant, or when they are spawning, they are in a state of semi-starvation. In the wild it's a constant feast or famine cycle that repeats itself from season to season, and year to year, and most fish are constantly adapting to those changes.

The following link is to a post that I made about the causes & myths surrounding bloat, which appears to have been made a sticky in the Rift Lake Cichlid folder, you may find it an interesting read.

http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/showthread.php?456034-Bloat-Causes-Cures-and-BIG-Myths

In that thread I posted the following, which you may also find interesting...........

For decades Tropheus keepers felt that due to the intestinal length & long digestive process in that species, it should only be fed low protein "green" food, and that any amount of animal based protein could cause bloat. Yet science has proven that in captive bred species of Tropheus the intestinal length can be half of what's found in wild specimens.

"Intestinal prolongation, although indicative of specialization on diets with low nutritional value, such as those of epilithic algae and detritus, has been shown to be highly plastic (Sturmbauer et al.1992). In Tropheus moorii the intestinal length of domestic fish measured only 50% of the length found in wild individuals (Sturmbauer et al. 1992)."
A more recent study that was published in 2009 demonstrates just how great intestinal plasticity can be in response to the diet quality of various species of fish found in Lake Tanganyika.

http://limnology.wisc.edu/personnel..._Functional-Ecology-LT-cichlid-gut-length.pdf

The above paper clearly demonstrates just how adaptive wild Rift Lake cichlids can be when it comes to their diet. As long as one feeds a quality food, diet will generally be a non issue, and will not cause any type of major gastrointestinal stress. These fish were born to adapt.

Most of the "grazers" don't eat foods of low nutritional matter in the wild because they want to, they do so because during certain times of the season, or in some certain locals, that's all that is available. That does not equate to them not being able to fully absorb & assimilate foods that are more nutrient dense. Again, something that I have been stating for many years, which is now supported by the most recent research performed by the scientific community.

kamikaziechameleon

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Sep 23, 2010
western hemisphere
If you've ever tried pulling your foot out of your mouth its harder than it looks... I should have warn my smaller shoes...:nilly:

as for the fish eating irregularly in the wild I agree and recognize that. I still believe regular intake allows better nutrient absorption than gorging, not to say its bad so much as the prior debate was on the merits of grazing or regular feeding. When I work less hours feeding less more regularly has visual benefits in my fish. It has also shown in other animals and in human study.

I didn't realize that they could utilize a more pure form of carbohydrate like a wheat on any level and that is actually enlightening to me.

As for vitamins getting destroyed or lost in production I don't know if I articulated my thoughts well enough. You are right in that they aren't destroy, so much as the bound nutrition in the ingredients like all the meals that are... don't know my vocabulary terribly well, deconstructed??? What I mean is my understanding of human digestion being my basis. Unbound vitamins like say you get in your generic multi-vitamin don't absorb as readily as what you get from eating a diverse salad and fresh fruit. Sure their is more in the mulit-vitamin but your body struggles to process them when they aren't bound naturally to something they more often pass through unused. I assumed the powder for the gel might potentially be produced similar to some of the upper end human supplements, where in they basically dehydrate/condense raw ingredients no cooking or pure vitamins. You can see the difference in your urine and take better supplements on a empty stomach. Again I assume allot but I'm just proposing a thought. The vitamin content might test high after extrusion but the absorption from the cooking could suffer.

Ok, I see what you are addressing. I clearly goofed on some points(pellet makeup!). And I think all your rebukes are correct, I just hope you understand what I was getting at with the above points. Maybe I articulated better the second time around. I love getting sat down on a forum and shown what's up, honestly its fun. Most of what I know is from the internet, lol. Being wrong is how learning is done ;) Thanks RD.

Allen Repashy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2012
San Diego
RD,
your "dry powder" fish food goes through the exact same type of heat as any pellet would.
This just isn't true. The protein isolates and concentrates are processed under high heat, but everything else is dried/dehydrated and milled at much lower temperatures than extrusion Much of it is sun dried. There is no extrusion and then grinding going on in what I do. The amount of heat required to activate the gel is much lower than typical Extrusion processes which use steam. The vitamins I add are as shipped from the manufacturer. Yes, there are low temperature extrusion processes that don't use the same temps as these. My statements are about typical fish foods (which use steam) and you are responding to them as if I am only comparing my product to your product.

until I pointed out that your foods do in fact contain starch. Before the last round of tweaks, they apparently even contained ingredients such as corn meal.
Man, you really like to split hairs, don't you.... Of course plant ingredients contain starch. The low amount of starch in my products is there as a BYPRODUCT of ingredients that are there for their nutritional contributions. they are not there because I am ADDING STARCH on purpose. Some manufacturers cut straight to the point and add pure starch products like corn starch, others add products like wheat, or wheat byproducts so they can provide starch and gluten at the same time. There is no reason to put wheat in a fish food other than to provide starch and gluten as binding agents. The ingredients I use in beta test formulas have no relevance in the discussion about the product I am selling and I really can't see why you would bring something like that up.

You stated that water content is irrelevant, when in my opinion nothing could be further from the truth.
You have the right to your own opinion :)

If it's such a non-issue, then as previously asked please post a nutrient analysis based on the finished product
I am not here to serve you. If you really want to figure it out, it only takes a calculator and some time, something of which it seems you have much more of than I do. If we were having a discussion comparing my hydrated product to that of whole live fish, squid, krill, or some other living thing, then there would be a reason do do so. Like I said three times already, It doesn't any relevance in comparing my product to dry products.

I can state with 100% certainty that when my fish eat pellets, those pellets do not contain 75% water content, as you have implied.
I am not saying they are 75% water when they eat them..... I am saying that they are 75% water by the time they are able to digest and assimilate them. Again, something you and I are just going to disagree on until the end of days :)

Don't take any of this personal Allen, I honestly have nothing against you, or your products, I just didn't appreciate the way some of the "facts" were being presented here & elsewhere.
I am trying not to take it personal, but it's really hard to do when you write the things you do.

Me, as a manufacturer, and you, as the representative of a manufacturer, have to think a lot about what we say when it comes to talking about subjects that involve the companies we represent. When you and I are talking about foods and ingredients, it is different than when two hobbyists are talking about it. Everything we say in reality, becomes a company statement. When you talk about filters, heaters, or something a company you represent doesn't make, then your comments could be considered personal opinions. When you, or talk about fish foods, our statements represent the opinion of our company.

When I read your comments, coming from a NLS distributor, I assume that they are the position of the company you represent, because we are talking about those specific types of products. In other words, I read your words as if they are the words of Pablo, because at the end of the day, you represent his company directly as a distributor the same way I represent mine (I act as my own distributor) . Dealers and retailers, are often hobbyists and enthusiasts that can have really educated opinions, but they also can come up with their own ways to sell products that might not be the way a manufacturer would use to promote and sell products.

We are both, of course human, and we are both, obviously very proud of the products we represent. I think that while we have both tried to keep this professional, the conversation DID at some point become personal on both sides of the fence.

When you come onto a public forum to promote your products stick to the facts about your products, and don't use random numbers, percentages, or anything else about other types of products such as pellets, in order to place your products in some kind of superior light. If your vendors are smart, they'll do likewise because you just never know who you might run across on a public forum.
I didn't come here to promote my products. I came here in response to a two page thread that had information I felt needed to be clarified, especially when I find out that the comments are coming from the representative of another manufacturer. I don't make random statements and I never said my product was superior to anything. I said it could fill a niche or two, and so did you, so I don't know how this thread has turned into what it did other than the fact that the two of us are both really hard headed and won't back down on our positions.

I compare your comments in this thread to what it woudl be like if someone started a thread about NLS product ingredients, something it did to their water..... whatever...... and then I, who represents a competing manufacturer, jumped in and started picking apart ingredients, telling someone that another product is better, why mine is better etc. I just don't see that as professional, and will never directly enter a conversation about another food companies product because the weight of my words is always taken much differently than that of a hobbyist/enthusiast. Any other topic, and it's the wild wild west.

Allen

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
Just so there's no misunderstanding, the only person that I represent on these forums, or anywhere else, is myself. It's not my company, and I don't work for New Life. I'm a customer, not an employee.

Pharaoh

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2008
Indianapolis
OK all. I don't normally involve myself in the great food debates that go on around here, but we need to slow this one down a bit. Let's get back to the original topic and move on.

I like detailed information as much as the next guy, but there's no need for all this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store