Returning back to the Shark World with a new tank

L8braker

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2011
AVL, NC
Seams are all good, only separation I can see is on the top eurobracing double layering. The entire top and bottom is double layered(built like a tank). What is there is very minor and looks to have been there for awhile or maybe during manufacturing (algae growth inside).

Cu455

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Mar 8, 2011
US
You have so much patience buffering the tank and everything. I would of had that things filled the day I got it. How did you move the tank?

Zoodiver

As seen on TV
MFK Member
Aug 22, 2005
South FL
Ah, Novus. Gotta love that stuff!!! I'm sure you'll have that thing clear soon.

For your substrate question, the trick is rinse, rinse and rinse prior to dumping it in. Even the pre-rinsed stuff. Coarseness depends on what sharks you want to go with. I use pretty heavy large grain aragonite on my bigger tanks to keep it on the bottom and out of the filter/water column.

I'll be honest, my first thought for a species was grow out for Japanese Smoothound Triakis scyllium (AKA Japanese banded hound shark). Those guys are so amazing and you just don't see tanks with this type of foot print for them to use properly. Atlantic guitarfish would be awesome in there as well. A tank this rare looking almost requires a cool rare elasmo to live in it. :)

L8braker

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2011
AVL, NC
Ah, Novus. Gotta love that stuff!!! I'm sure you'll have that thing clear soon.

For your substrate question, the trick is rinse, rinse and rinse prior to dumping it in. Even the pre-rinsed stuff. Coarseness depends on what sharks you want to go with. I use pretty heavy large grain aragonite on my bigger tanks to keep it on the bottom and out of the filter/water column.

I'll be honest, my first thought for a species was grow out for Japanese Smoothound Triakis scyllium (AKA Japanese banded hound shark). Those guys are so amazing and you just don't see tanks with this type of foot print for them to use properly. Atlantic guitarfish would be awesome in there as well. A tank this rare looking almost requires a cool rare elasmo to live in it. :)

Novus yeah it has replaced my normal workout routine hahahahaha

Sand (last time) I had really fine stuff and rinsing was really hard as I couldn't get my hand in to swirl it around properly. Guess something a little more coarse but not crushed coral.

Smoothound was on my list for sure...Banded even better! Guitarfish hadn't crossed my mind as I have never seen them available. Maybe Turbo253 up in NY can hook me up or do you have any other suppliers? Still aways off from stocking but good to have a plan. :shark:

Zoodiver

As seen on TV
MFK Member
Aug 22, 2005
South FL
Josh might have one or two.
I have a collector in the Keys that can get them from time to time. When the time comes and you are looking, hit me up. He likes to hold them a couple weeks to get them eating and stable before shipping them out.

L8braker

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2011
AVL, NC
Ok guys after a lot of elbow grease and frustration.....I have got to a point of acceptable. Scratches are still there from the previous owner's moving, but overall much better. now to build the stand.

tank3.JPG

tank3.JPG

Chub_by

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2012
Europe
Looks so much better, can't wait to see this finished ;)
I think some guitarfish would look amazing in there.

DIDYSIS

Mantilla Stingray
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2012
West Jordan Utah
Sweet tank. Very jealous. Well it would not fit in my house so many not super jealous but still I would be trying to find a place for it if I had the opportunity.

Sent from the Monster Fish Keeping App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store