Riddle me this...

bigspizz

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 20, 2007
ZCciVic22;1431240; said:
I'm not sure I agree with this... It's YOUR tank, it's YOUR money, but it's THEIR lives. We are controlling their lives for our enjoyment. That makes their health and well being OUR responsibility. While I'm the first to agree PITA stands for Pain In The Ass, I'll also be the first to accept responsibility for my pets lives. Let the flame begin.

No flames on this thread :) Just go try that in a HKN thread...lmao!

Toby_H

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 21, 2007
Charlotte, NC
nc_nutcase;1431111; said:
My opinion is… if you have to ask then your overcrowded… Because if you aren’t experienced enough to evaluate your own tank then you shouldn’t be taking the higher risks of an overstocked tank…
The above quote is my opinion in general… not specific to anyone or any one’s tank… if you feel you are experienced enough to evaluate your own tank… then that statement, as it is written, does not apply to you…

From the beginning of this thread I’ve agreed that the advice you received on the other forum is exaggerated… but then again I also feel some statements in this thread are just as exaggerated but to the other extreme…

Some of the suggestions in your original post seem to be for a solo fish in a tank where others seem more appropriate for what one fish would require in a community setting… all in all it looks to me like you were given a poorly thought out and/or poorly presented suggestion…

twhittle

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Feb 8, 2007
Clarkston, Wa
Thanks. I was pretty sure you weren't referring specifically to me. I just wanted to clarify.

jasonmac978

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 18, 2007
MASS
jasonmac978;1430950; said:
My philosophy on overstocking is this: do WHATEVER you want, it's YOUR tank. Who cares what other people think? If you ask a question, they will simply give advice. You can choose to take the advice and use it, or move on. At the end of the day, it's your hard-earned money and hard work that make the tank work. If you want to keep all of those fish in the same tank, DO IT! Just keep in mind, there can be consequences for your actions (stocking levels), so be prepared to deal with them as (when) they arise. People need to remember that this is a hobby, and the most important aspect of ANY HOBBY is fun and relaxation...Just my $0.02
ZCciVic22;1431240; said:
I'm not sure I agree with this... It's YOUR tank, it's YOUR money, but it's THEIR lives. We are controlling their lives for our enjoyment. That makes their health and well being OUR responsibility. While I'm the first to agree PITA stands for Pain In The Ass, I'll also be the first to accept responsibility for my pets lives. Let the flame begin.
Oh really? Good job, you get an A for the day.

PMK

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 22, 2006
Doing water changes
I dont have 23 years of cichlids experience yet. But what i think they are using a combination of bioload and appropriete swimming space but once you get to a certain size you could then you can begin to stock a bit heavier as long as the bio load is addressed.

But one thing i think about when thinking of larger tanks is square footage. For example a standard 240 96x24x24 is 16 square feet allowing for more territory spaces and room to escape as opposed to a tall 240 thats 96x18x36 while the tall would be the same volume the square footage would be only 12 square feet so less space to move around and set up a territory. So the standard 240 in my opinion would allow for a heavier stock as long as bioload is addressed.

Another thing id think you have to factor in is aggresion and if a fish is territorial so that could dictate stocking and mininum tank size. I think the only way to over stock a tank is to not address all of the followin bioload, swimming space, aggression, and territorial fish.

For example i could shoe horn an adult pime into my 240 and address the bio load with massive filtration but the fish wouldnt even be able to move. Or i could fit in a 240 all full grown males a Umbee dovii black nasty butti red devil Jag Trimac beani and have a huge sump but theyd all kill each other eventually. Or I could have a school of 12 oscars but if i just have 1 ac110 filtering it. As long as these three things are addressed there stocking levels are way off in my personal opinion.

twhittle

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Feb 8, 2007
Clarkston, Wa
Thanks for the input. Sound advice.

Toby_H

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 21, 2007
Charlotte, NC
On square footage…

But… another thing to consider… I have a 6’ round 300 gal tank… so that is a little over 28 square feet. But at best the fish can be 6’ from one another…

If we built a tank with 28 sq ft using the typical rectangle shape and 2x2 dimensions… it would be 14 feel long… I think you could stock more large aggressive Cichlids in a 14 x 2 x 2 than you could a 6’ round… even though they are the same square footage (This assessment is based on aggression alone, as overall volumes will be different comparing bio would be unfair).

ZCciVic22

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 15, 2008
Pittsburgh, Pa
jasonmac978;1430950; said:
My philosophy on overstocking is this: do WHATEVER you want, it's YOUR tank. Who cares what other people think? If you ask a question, they will simply give advice. You can choose to take the advice and use it, or move on. At the end of the day, it's your hard-earned money and hard work that make the tank work. If you want to keep all of those fish in the same tank, DO IT! Just keep in mind, there can be consequences for your actions (stocking levels), so be preared to deal with them as (when) they arise. People need to remeber that this is a hobby, and the most important aspect of ANY HOBBY is fun and relaxation...Just my $0.02

This seems like a very nonchalant way to say you're worried about your pets lives... my $0.02

cchhcc

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 31, 2006
Virginia Beach, VA USA
Yeah....... It's just a hobby, so you don't really have any responsibility to properly provide for the living creatures in your care. Just do whatever makes you happy! My $0.02.

pdbrady

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 1, 2006
Springfield, MO
Hey if everybody keeps putting in .02, maybe we could save up for a mfk event! :D No matter how you say it (nonchalant or otherwise), the fish are living animals in your care, therefore it is your responsibility to take care of them. With that addressed (since that's not actually the topic), tank surface area has a lot to do with your question. The larger the surface area, the more gasses can expel.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store