Riddle me this...

PMK

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 22, 2006
Doing water changes
nc_nutcase;1434196; said:
On square footage…

But… another thing to consider… I have a 6’ round 300 gal tank… so that is a little over 28 square feet. But at best the fish can be 6’ from one another…

If we built a tank with 28 sq ft using the typical rectangle shape and 2x2 dimensions… it would be 14 feel long… I think you could stock more large aggressive Cichlids in a 14 x 2 x 2 than you could a 6’ round… even though they are the same square footage (This assessment is based on aggression alone, as overall volumes will be different comparing bio would be unfair).
that is so true i never thought of round tank my mindset was just on standard rectangular tanks. and to have a 14x2x2 tank the stocking possibilities are making me drool lol

twhittle

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Feb 8, 2007
Clarkston, Wa
I don't know how this became a referrendum on how people treat their fish or whether or not my tank was overstocked. Here are the photos. My fish are treated great and are in great shape. They have lots of swimming room, aggression in check, and nitrates (just checked) at 10 ppm after 20 days (doing a wc tonight anyway). I realize this will change as some of them grow, but I will stock to levels so that when all my fish are full grown, the nitrates do not exceed 20 ppm in less than a week. That much maintanence I can handle.

goose_uk

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 7, 2007
England
twhittle;1435426; said:
I don't know how this became a referrendum on how people treat their fish or whether or not my tank was overstocked. Here are the photos. My fish are treated great and are in great shape. They have lots of swimming room, aggression in check, and nitrates (just checked) at 10 ppm after 20 days (doing a wc tonight anyway). I realize this will change as some of them grow, but I will stock to levels so that when all my fish are full grown, the nitrates do not exceed 20 ppm in less than a week. That much maintanence I can handle.

Lovely tank....doesnt look overstocked at the moment!! Doesnt matter how hard you try, as soon as the word 'overstock' is involved, the direction of your thread will change....

My opinion is we as fishkeepers should try to recreate the environment the fish feel happiest in.....if they schoal in the wild then by all means stick a few in a tank and let them schoal.... If they need a bit of space then give it to em...a fish will only look its best when it is 'happy' anyway, and that is essentially what we want...to look at good fish!

twhittle

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Feb 8, 2007
Clarkston, Wa
To clarify...the suggestions were in a pm from someone on the site. Still, the site is quite notorious for this kind of advice. I don't like to go after other sites, but they deal in Oscars quite a bit.

bigspizz

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 20, 2007
twhittle;1435750; said:
To clarify...the suggestions were in a pm from someone on the site. Still, the site is quite notorious for this kind of advice. I don't like to go after other sites, but they deal in Oscars quite a bit.

I could have guessed....;)

PMK

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 22, 2006
Doing water changes
it was in the back of my mind the moment i read this thread. In my opinion i think there a bit overkill on stocking

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
I dont think having all those fish in a 210 is a good diea when they grow up, but the list some people gave you seems a little silly.I think you could put about half your fish in the 210.

twhittle

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Feb 8, 2007
Clarkston, Wa
Since 11 of the fish are already full grown, I already have over half of them in there with zero water quality issues. So I already know I can keep more than half in their right now. When the others become full grown I will watch the parameters and aggression and adjust accordingly. I actually think I will be okay as long as aggression allows. I have 125 inches (length wise) of fish right now. Based on the fish I have which are still growing there is still a combined 40-50 inches of growth between them. So as far as total length in growth, the potential of my tank is 70-75% there already. Since I am going to remove the massive pleco one day (pm if interested), the total length in inches for all the fish in my tank will be 160-170 inches (I know they get bulkier too, that's kind of a given). My point is that if my maintenance is so little with my current stockload (nitrates at 10 ppm after 20 days), I doubt that the added 35-45 inches of fish in a 210 gallon will catipult wc's so drastically that I can't handle it.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store