Ripariums for Plant Filtration

hydrophyte

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 10, 2009
Madison, Wisconsin
Thanks everybody. I have quite a few other pictures too. Is there anything like a gallery sub-forum here?

zennzzo;3584098; said:
Possibly a "how-to" project, from start to finish to show the steps needed to do a tank like that?!??

I got a 46g Bow-front, I'd love to plant like that...:D;)
I have quite a bit of step-by-step information on my blog.

http://hydrophytesblog.com

hydrophyte

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 10, 2009
Madison, Wisconsin
Here is a recent shot through the open canopy of my 20-gallon setup.

This one has only about 7 gallons of water, so there are just a few small fish. The plants include a number of aquarium stem plants in their emersed forms.

hydrophyte

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 10, 2009
Madison, Wisconsin
Here is another one my riparium setups. This one is in a 55-gallon.

Most of the plants in there are various Cryptocoryne. There are also some Anubias, Java fern and Bolbitis fern.

Can you tell what the fish are?

sostoudt

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 5, 2009
va
hydrophyte;3584361; said:
Thanks everybody. I have quite a few other pictures too. Is there anything like a gallery sub-forum here?
i dont think theres one for ripariums

i guess there gold barbs.

FSM

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 1, 2008
Georgia
hydrophyte;3584361; said:
You could put this in the Photo Lounge or the Planted Tank and Aquascaping section.

hydrophyte;3583121; said:
Hi All,

At any rate, this is an idea that I would like to explore further. I wan to ask around here some more for suggestions for larger and less common fish that might work in riparium setups, since most of my experience has been with smaller community fish.

Here is another new riparium tank that I am just starting to put together, in a 56-gallon Column.

I still haven't put much thought to fish seletion for this one, but I would like to try to include a more unusual cichlid or catfish. I will fill this one to 40% of its depth with water, so it will only have about 20 gallons of water. Does anybody have any suggestions for good fish to use?
How long is the tank? An african butterfly fish would fit well. Also, microctenopoma ansorgii are neat little fish. I've always wanted to do an african oddball-theme tank.

frnchjeep

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 24, 2006
Ct
Awesome tanks. In your 120... the plant in the back right corner...is that the one that the leaves get like 3 feet across? Also, how do you keep the nitrates up in so little water?

hydrophyte

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 10, 2009
Madison, Wisconsin
frnchjeep;3586239; said:
Awesome tanks. In your 120... the plant in the back right corner...is that the one that the leaves get like 3 feet across? Also, how do you keep the nitrates up in so little water?
Yeah that plant is a Xanthosoma taro and they do get pretty big, but I had it planted in a riparium planter, which helped to control its size. I also clipped off large leaves as they grew in.

The 120 is a low-maintenance setup that I only service once per week. I do a 25% water change and also dose for N, P, K & Fe. The plants grow well and I don't often observe any signs of deficiency. I usually leave just two of the six 54-watt lamps lit up, which helps to reduce plant nutrient requirements.

hydrophyte

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 10, 2009
Madison, Wisconsin
FSM;3586159; said:
How long is the tank? An african butterfly fish would fit well. Also, microctenopoma ansorgii are neat little fish. I've always wanted to do an african oddball-theme tank.
Those are great suggestions. A butterflyfish would be well-suited to a tank viewable from above and with a large footprint. That M. ansorgi looks like a fascinating little fish. I wonder if it would nip the fin filaments of a butterflyfish(?). Lampeye killlis are another one that comes to mind as a potential pairing for butterflyfish.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store