Ripariums for Plant Filtration

hydrophyte

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 10, 2009
Madison, Wisconsin
Last night I was messing around in that 55-gallon and pulled out this big Cryptocryne wendtii...

I hadn't realized how huge it had grown until I got it out of the tank. The leaves have great color too. If you look at that picture in my previous post you can see it there just to the right center.

hydrophyte

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 10, 2009
Madison, Wisconsin
Thanks so much. I wish that the fish were more visible in that picture. THere really are some pretty cool fish in there.h

I can hook you up with plants if you might like to try something similar. I have a lot of extra because I grew stuff outside this summer.

Conner

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 27, 2008
Kentucky
hydrophyte;3599148; said:
Thanks so much. I wish that the fish were more visible in that picture. THere really are some pretty cool fish in there.h

I can hook you up with plants if you might like to try something similar. I have a lot of extra because I grew stuff outside this summer.

I may hit you up for some soon. I may have a tank that I'd like to try this with soon.

What do you use to filter these tanks, if anything? Or do you just do water changes on a regular basis?

As for the corydoras catfish idea, with that many plants in the tank, I think you could keep a decent school of most cory species in that tank and be alright. Maybe aim for 7-10 of a smaller species, like the Agassizzi (sp?) cory, which would look nice.

hydrophyte

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 10, 2009
Madison, Wisconsin
For filtration I generally use either submersed power filters, or canisters.
For tanks only partially-filled there is less filtration demand because of the lower total water volume. The emersed plants really do help with nitrate reduction and other water purification processes, so there is also less need for water changes relative to non-planted systems with comparable water volume and bioload. Canisters do require either plumbing through the tank floor, or pipe retrofit (easy to do) to reach down to lower water surface.

Now is a good time for shipping plants--before it gets much colder.

Thanks for the fish recommendation. A group of small-sized and active cories could be perfect for this new setup idea that I have.

swede

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2009
ןɟ 'opuɐןɹo ɹɐǝu
that is amazing!!!!! how much did it cost you to setup the 65 gallon?

Conner

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 27, 2008
Kentucky
hydrophyte;3599750; said:
Now is a good time for shipping plants--before it gets much colder.

Thanks for the fish recommendation. A group of small-sized and active cories could be perfect for this new setup idea that I have.

What kind of plants do you have available, and what kind of pricing are you looking for?

And you're welcome :D. I love cories, they've got so much personality for such a tiny little fish.

hydrophyte

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 10, 2009
Madison, Wisconsin
swede;3599753; said:
that is amazing!!!!! how much did it cost you to setup the 65 gallon?
Let me go round up some pictures to explain what I used in that one.

Conner;3599772; said:
What kind of plants do you have available, and what kind of pricing are you looking for?

And you're welcome :D. I love cories, they've got so much personality for such a tiny little fish.
PM sent.

I like that C. agassazii.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store