Rodger's 561 Gallon Build

clgkag

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 20, 2008
missouri
So it is actually happening! LOL Glad to see it coming together, wish the glass I got hadn't broken but I may be able to make it work for a different plan. Let me know when the unveiling party is.

rodger

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2008
Kansas City
Yes Clint, it actually happened yesterday. That is, until it all went south on me.
I should have made a dry run, but 3/4" glass is way heavy for guys in their late 50's to move around much. Measurements all showed stuff was going to go great but NO!. Anyway, I have much cleaning of everything. I have 5 10 oz tubes of silicone to clean off of everything. I'm glad I threw in the towel when I did. It was setting up and by the time the back panel came out it took some tugging. I'm not all pissed off this morning like I was 12 hours ago. Now to figure out what went wrong...............

rodger

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2008
Kansas City
uploadfromtaptalk1415355011974.jpguploadfromtaptalk1415355030382.jpg

Sent from my SCH-S960L using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

clgkag

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 20, 2008
missouri
I will be out of town all next week, but if you need some help when I get back give me a holler. I have faith you will get it done.

INTHECOWBOYSWETRUST

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 13, 2013
TOLEDO OHIO
Yes Clint, it actually happened yesterday. That is, until it all went south on me.
I should have made a dry run, but 3/4" glass is way heavy for guys in their late 50's to move around much. Measurements all showed stuff was going to go great but NO!. Anyway, I have much cleaning of everything. I have 5 10 oz tubes of silicone to clean off of everything. I'm glad I threw in the towel when I did. It was setting up and by the time the back panel came out it took some tugging. I'm not all pissed off this morning like I was 12 hours ago. Now to figure out what went wrong...............
Well that really sucks!!! It looks like you had a good plan and things was coming together nicely.. I can't help but to notice you have black and clear silicone on the glass, was you using 2 different kinds of silicone on it?
I think you need to try to call in some favors from some friends or something because that would be a near impossible job for a 20 year old body builder to do by himself!!!

You need to put a nice bead of silicone around the wood where the glass will sit on it, then have a few guys to help set the 2 end pieces of glass in place and hold them so you can put a bead of silicone on the ends of that glass where the front and back panels will meet up with the sides to get the silicone between the glass, then clamp everything together good and let that dry good for atleast 48 hours before you even try to do the silicone on the inside of the tank!! That is way too much work for just 2 hands to do.... Good luck with the next try buddy, don't give up though it will come together for you in the end!!!

rodger

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2008
Kansas City
Well that really sucks!!! It looks like you had a good plan and things was coming together nicely.. I can't help but to notice you have black and clear silicone on the glass, was you using 2 different kinds of silicone on it?
I think you need to try to call in some favors from some friends or something because that would be a near impossible job for a 20 year old body builder to do by himself!!!

You need to put a nice bead of silicone around the wood where the glass will sit on it, then have a few guys to help set the 2 end pieces of glass in place and hold them so you can put a bead of silicone on the ends of that glass where the front and back panels will meet up with the sides to get the silicone between the glass, then clamp everything together good and let that dry good for atleast 48 hours before you even try to do the silicone on the inside of the tank!! That is way too much work for just 2 hands to do.... Good luck with the next try buddy, don't give up though it will come together for you in the end!!!
Suck is a giant understatement! Yes I was using clear around the bottom and black on the corners. Not going to use clear next go round. This wasn't a one man mess. Three old guys in late 50's.

I'm not sure what went wrong fitting everything together. Kind of hard to check anything when it's all covered in goo that wants to solidify. I just have to get busy cleaning glass and figure out what is with the frame that prevented me from getting it done. I will definately do a dry run this time. I was overly confident and in too big of a hurry to get it done. I'm looking at Feb at the soonest now.

Sent from my SCH-S960L using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

INTHECOWBOYSWETRUST

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 13, 2013
TOLEDO OHIO
Suck is a giant understatement! Yes I was using clear around the bottom and black on the corners. Not going to use clear next go round. This wasn't a one man mess. Three old guys in late 50's.

I'm not sure what went wrong fitting everything together. Kind of hard to check anything when it's all covered in goo that wants to solidify. I just have to get busy cleaning glass and figure out what is with the frame that prevented me from getting it done. I will definately do a dry run this time. I was overly confident and in too big of a hurry to get it done. I'm looking at Feb at the soonest now.

Sent from my SCH

Well that really sucks you have to wait till Feb. now to get back on it, but I guess it is better to take your time and do it right then to rush and mess it up!!!

I can give you some tips if you don't mind the advice... IMO it would be best to do it in 2 different parts, First thing I would do is take the side rails off because it looks like they will get in the way of the glass sliding into place.. then do as I said in my other post, put the silicone between the glass and around where the glass sits on the wood and clamp everything together good and let it dry for 48 to 72 hours, I would put the side rails back on AS SOON as you get the glass in place and clamped together, That will help hold it together and you won't have to worry about them pushing on the glass and/or silicone after it is dry!!!

Then I would re-clean all the inside seems again of whatever squeezed out from between the glass or wood, Then lay your tape line and seal the whole inside seems, I honestly think the tank is too big to try to do it all at the same time!!! Well buddy I sure hope this will help you out some and I sure wish you the best of luck on the next try!!

Do you mind if I ask what kind of silicone you was using on it?

rodger

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2008
Kansas City
It is made by ASI, American Sealants, Inc. I did a lot of research and it has the highest shear and tensile strength of any silicone. I like your idea of removing the exterior braces. I think I will start with only the back one preinstalled and do the rest as I go. I realise that I used way too much silicone but figures I could cut out after it set up. I may rethink that approach. I also think I will skip using clear and use all black this time. I will have my son make "blue prints" of the jigs so you will better understand what the clamping system is. Hopefully it won't take till February to get it done, I am just giving myself breathing room. I will get as much cleanup done as I can this weekend.
I really appreciate any and all suggestions. I have never made an aquarium before, and started with a giant one for me first go at it.

rodger

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2008
Kansas City
I will be out of town all next week, but if you need some help when I get back give me a holler. I have faith you will get it done.
Clint, my friend, I will definitely let you know when I get close to getting ready to try again. I would really appreciate the help! I hope I will be ready some time I December, but we will see.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store