Rookie Mistake - Help?

BadGaskets

Exodon
MFK Member
Apr 1, 2023
Please don't put anything in there with them. I made this mistake of putting a SMALL one in a 75 gallon. Within 6 months he was the biggest fish in the tank and his tankmates were disappearing.

A 55 won't cut it for long. Which is unfortunate because they are quite amusing fish to keep.

Heck

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 25, 2024
Sacramento, CA
Please don't put anything in there with them. I made this mistake of putting a SMALL one in a 75 gallon. Within 6 months he was the biggest fish in the tank and his tankmates were disappearing.

A 55 won't cut it for long. Which is unfortunate because they are quite amusing fish to keep.
Oh for sure - I will be neither aiding not abetting their crimes.

Will hang on to them for a bit and return or upgrade when necessary.

Do you still have yours?

Heck

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 25, 2024
Sacramento, CA
Small update: husband has agreed that an 8 foot tank would be great in the spot where the 55 gal is now. (We have not discussed the need to get rid of furniture in order to keep the other 2 tanks - one step at a time, LOL).

He is a plant guy, and he was eyeballing the plants I stuck in my HOB - I think he's considering how many more plants could grow in a bigger tank, and I can see the wheels turning... I think he's envisioning a hydroponic vegetable garden. Works for me - he's the cook in our house, and IMO, the more veggies he has on hand the better.

The Crime Fish are doing quite well. They spend a lot of time in the current under the HOB. Do they like the current? I have room for an additional filter; would they like *more* current?

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Small update: husband has agreed that an 8 foot tank would be great in the spot where the 55 gal is now. (We have not discussed the need to get rid of furniture in order to keep the other 2 tanks - one step at a time, LOL).

He is a plant guy, and he was eyeballing the plants I stuck in my HOB - I think he's considering how many more plants could grow in a bigger tank, and I can see the wheels turning... I think he's envisioning a hydroponic vegetable garden. Works for me - he's the cook in our house, and IMO, the more veggies he has on hand the better.

The Crime Fish are doing quite well. They spend a lot of time in the current under the HOB. Do they like the current? I have room for an additional filter; would they like *more* current?
That’s a good husband right there! Keep him!

Heck

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 25, 2024
Sacramento, CA
That’s a good husband right there! Keep him!
The day I brought home the Crime Fish, I announced to him that I had agreed to temporarily foster a dog for a friend (we already have 2 boisterous Labs), and he just sighed (the foster turned out to be extremely well-behaved and only lasted one night here because I got her adopted). Then I told him I had bought another horse (that one he didn't even sigh about, just asked for details).

It's a compromise - he's allergic to cats, so I have only one and don't let her in the bedroom. And we keep completely separate finances so we won't be annoyed at each other's spending as long as we each cover our agreed-upon household expenses (he bought a plane this year so he wouldn't have much room to complain about an 11th horse if he wanted to).

It is super nice that he has some interest in the tank; if he wants to use it to grow veggies I will be thrilled.

Heck

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 25, 2024
Sacramento, CA
I like it!

Yes, they are ML.
Problem with them is that most folks can quote you very well, having put them in a community tank not knowing what they were (when they proceeded to eat all their neons). Some can even quote you three years in having kept them with more boisterous fish.
Mine are well over 15 years old now and there is no true answer to being able to keep them in a 55 for life, because most of those keepers don’t have them for life, or at least not a long one.
And, if you are half the fish keeper I expect you are, you will tell when they want more space and you will have grown to like them that much, you will end up giving them it.
Different fish will come with different personalities so if your two get on then that’s half the battle won.
So congratulations on your new characters and enjoy!
My husband wants a pictus. Would they eat a pictus?

Fishman Dave

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 14, 2015
West Yorkshire
No, the Pictus wouldn’t let them. They may argue a little but again u may find no issues. All are night time active so should be fine. Only real issue may be around owning a particular space or decor if they all want it. The Pictus too generally can grow slightly larger than some literature suggest.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store