Room Flooded! Carpets, what else to do?!?!?!

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
Hello; Seems that the tank was heavly stocked and that eight hours of no powered filtration was a factor. Add to the fish load the likely excess food that would be undergoing decay. Such decay organisms can multipily a lot in that many hours. I always run bubblers as a back up during time when powered filters may be down. I also try to have the air pump on a separate and different circuit from the power filters.

SawickiB

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2014
FL, United States
Tbh, it wasnt heavily stocked, considering how young they were, none of my fish have reached maturity yet, but when they did i was going to move them to my 260 gallon once it was built. But i see what your saying it was really foolish of me to go to sleep without even getting an extension cord to run my filters and some bubblers, i have a filter and bubbler on the tank right now. All other fish seem to be 100% healthy and i hope i can recover from losing 500$ :(

SawickiB

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2014
FL, United States
Ok, so now im thinking there is something in the water that killed my fish, no idea what but it looks nasty.

The nandus nandus that survived has a nasty red, inflamed, almost bloody looking fin that shes barely using.

My smaller jurupari has the same thing but instead of red its just white, inflamed and almost shiny, and two dots of shininess on its back fin.

My common pleco has red, bloody looking fins on the back tips as well. Im not the best at explaining so ill just get photos.

Ive added dechlorinator just to be on the safe side, well water usually doesnt have chlorine, but id like to be safe.

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
Man, that's gotta hurt. Sorry for your loss.

Does your well water run through any kind of whole house filtration system (ex. water softener)?

that_fish_Guy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2013
CA
Ok, so now im thinking there is something in the water that killed my fish, no idea what but it looks nasty.

The nandus nandus that survived has a nasty red, inflamed, almost bloody looking fin that shes barely using.

My smaller jurupari has the same thing but instead of red its just white, inflamed and almost shiny, and two dots of shininess on its back fin.

My common pleco has red, bloody looking fins on the back tips as well. Im not the best at explaining so ill just get photos.

Ive added dechlorinator just to be on the safe side, well water usually doesnt have chlorine, but id like to be safe.
Red finnage sounds to me like ammonia burn... not sure though the pics will help alot

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

those1

Candiru
MFK Member
May 4, 2008
Sandusky, OH
sounds like ammonia burns. with no movement in your filters you may have loss alot of the good bacteria and with loosing that many fish its a good possibility that ammonia spiked. do another water change that will help if you have ammonia.

As for the carpet get ahold of a steam cleaner. I had my basement flood a few times and with the combination of pulling all the water with a steam cleaner and a dehumidifier was able to save the carpet. Once you get the carpet to fully dry go back and steam clean it with the soap to help get any mildew smell out of it.

I always used a household steam cleaner and it worked for me. if you try it and feel it isnt good enough you may have to rent one of the industrial ones that have more suction power.

SawickiB

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2014
FL, United States
Ammonia is 0ppm, so i dont think thats it, let me retest that.
Sorry for any blurriness, if i stand to close they run away, and if im not close enough its to blurry.

The pleco, looks cut off on the tip even.

The jurupari, as you may be able to see, he does not use it much.

The nandus nandus, i think has it the worst right now.

those1

Candiru
MFK Member
May 4, 2008
Sandusky, OH
one of your levels are off. I'm on city water and have some chlorine in the water however my fish have always lived in untreated water. when ever my fish started to look like this ammonia was the culprit. When in doubt a 25% water change is best it will help bring levels back to normal. Also do you have any other tanks set up in the house or at a buddies. you may have shocked the system and it needs to cycle again. Moving a used filter pad through out your water will make it look grummy but will bive you a good boost if the tank needs to cycle.

SawickiB

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2014
FL, United States
None of the levels are off, i just tested ammonia and nitrites, i doubt ive lost any bacteria, because my well water doesnt contain chlorine to kill the bacteria or fish. I just did a 100%+ water change, im sorry i just dont plan on taking more water out right now. I have no other tanks available at this point and time.

I think the culprit may be blood hemorrhage, from lack of oxygen, or something to do with their immune system and infection from all the stress.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store