Room Flooded! Carpets, what else to do?!?!?!

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
Still wondering whether there was a big pH flux. Symptoms of acidosis or alkalosis (high/low pH) can cause symptom of "redden gills and fins and body may become blood streak or shredded."

SawickiB

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2014
FL, United States
Still wondering whether there was a big pH flux. Symptoms of acidosis or alkalosis (high/low pH) can cause symptom of "redden gills and fins and body may become blood streak or shredded."
Yea i believe it had something to do with the none stable water, constantly flowing in, which weakened them greatly with stress and caused severe penalties.

wfex4

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 22, 2008
Cape Coral, Fl
I would definitely second the need for a dehumidifier. Florida is bad enough with the humidity, and having a tank in the room isn't going to help the carpet dry any faster. Typically in Florida, there is a padding under the carpet because it sits directly on top of concrete. You can usually roll up the carpet to help the padding dry faster as the padding is normally the only thing glued down. The carpet will dry. The padding will hold a funky smell for a while unless you get it nice and dry again.

notho2000

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 16, 2010
winnipeg, canada
I woke to find lots of dead fish :( i lost my moke, polli, ornate, palmas palmas, weeksii, angelfish x2, winemilleri x2 not sure why though... most of them can breath surface air :/
I had the same thing happen a while back. I left the water running for close to half an hour after the tank was filled. Fortunately, it is near a floor drain in the basement so no damages to my home occurred. Just got distracted by something. I only lost a couple of fish but when I looked in the tank, there were fish floating, rigid, all over, looking like they were dead. Reason? The water temperature had dropped to ~50F after the warm water from my hot water tank got used up. They couldn't withstand the abrupt change in temperature. I immediately drained off about 1/2 the water, and then started siphoning in water from a nearby large tank. As the temperature rose, I noticed some movement of gills, mouth and fins. The fish over the course of the next few hours, "came back to life". As far as strategies for drying things out, I would wet-dry vac the carpeted areas, use large fans with the windows open to help evaporate the moisture. In a closed space you could run a dehumidifier day and night. There are also service companies that specialize in water cleanup. Check the Yellow pages for businesses. It will be more expensive than a DIY effort, but may be worth it if you don't have the equipment to do it yourself.

DDK

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 25, 2013
us
Don't beat yourself up too much it happens, were all human. I guess on the bright side you get to stock some new fish! Thank god it was cement under the carpet or else you'd have some serious damages haha

SawickiB

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2014
FL, United States
I would definitely second the need for a dehumidifier. Florida is bad enough with the humidity, and having a tank in the room isn't going to help the carpet dry any faster. Typically in Florida, there is a padding under the carpet because it sits directly on top of concrete. You can usually roll up the carpet to help the padding dry faster as the padding is normally the only thing glued down. The carpet will dry. The padding will hold a funky smell for a while unless you get it nice and dry again.
Hey your in cape coral to lol yea im working on trying to get a dehumidifier. My dad doesnt want to tear up the carpet, and now the house is stinking pretty bad.

I dont think the temp. get low at all, and they definitely werent coming back :(

Yea, the fish that died were origanally supposed to leave the tank to a 260 gallon anyway, so its just more fish i have to buy. My bichir collection was finally complete, and now i lost 4 of my rarest ones :/

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store