RTC and TSN Information

matty832012

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 14, 2013
United States
hello i have been a new fan to the hobbie and more then happily keeping more then 60 fish in multiple tanks! my favorites are the asian redtail, my tsnxrtc, and my rtc. they are all around 6-8 inches now in a 180 and share it with a few oscars. i have been reading these questions for well over an hour now and answered some questions and provided me the information to procede from here. i was recently trying to find out what the cheapest setup for all the cats would be. glass or acrylic is absolutely not going to happen at the size enclosure i want them to have, but thankfully for all you guys here and on the site i'm thinking of a metal framed pool will be ideal and i may line the outside with field stone. this project is probably going to have to wait until winter at this point due to outside stuff but i cant wait, great comments, great questions, and really great advice. i will defiantly be following this post along

brewerytattooer

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 15, 2013
Rochester NY
Hello everybody,

Just had a quick question. What are the growth rates of a Redtail Catfish? I have had mine for about six months and he is only 10 inches long. Is that normal? he was about 3 inches when i got him earlier this year.

houie925

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 12, 2008
Manteca, California
1" per month is a little slow but not necessarily unhealthy if he's being fed sparingly. If he's choosing not to eat much or eating a lot and growing slowly there's likely something wrong. Mine's been growing 2" per month approximately with large weekly feedings and some who feed much more often have grown theirs 3"+ per month.

bsass588

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 15, 2013
Wisconsin
If I had a 300 gallon tank how long do you think I could have an redtailed catfish before needing to upgade to a larger 500-1000g set up.
Two years or more would be great 4foot by 5 foot by 2 foot high In design stage

houie925

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 12, 2008
Manteca, California
If I had a 300 gallon tank how long do you think I could have an redtailed catfish before needing to upgade to a larger 500-1000g set up.
Two years or more would be great 4foot by 5 foot by 2 foot high In design stage
If you could go 4x8 instead of 4x5 you'd probably be good for two years and could likely go longer than two years if you don't power-feed.

zambra09

Feeder Fish
Mar 13, 2014
coseley
hi i currently have a catfish that i rescued from a 3 foot tank it is 1.5 ffot long maybe just over i took him in but my tank is only 4.5 feet he is free to good home but had to get him outta the cramped 3 foot mine is not much bigger wich is why im posting to get him the owner thanks

wbilliam66

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2014
chicago
Hello everyone I am new to monsterfishkeepers.com and was hoping someone could help me out. I currently have a 19 inch hybrid spotted shovelnose redtail catfish (at least I think it is) Earlier today I noticed on the front left fin/barb some kind of growth with a split (pics attached) The fish is about 3 years old and this is the first issue that I have had with it. Has anyone seen this happen before? Any words of advice will be greatly appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1394854210.605732.jpg

ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1394854237.276257.jpg

ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1394854260.661733.jpg

rajatariqmustafa15

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 18, 2014
Pakistan
Can I post about other RTC hybrids? I would really LOVE to know a bit about them.

Chad
Well they can hit the 2-3 foot mark.mand they will swallow anything that comes into their mouth. You well need a ver y large aquarium. 5 foot is the minimum. They like foods that are high in protein I used feed my catfish beef heart it didn't eat anything except for beef heart you should also give them foods high in protein it will really boost their growth rate. The tank mates that are suitable for it,are
1) arowana
2)oscars but bigger ones they might get eaten
3)female flowerhorns
5)pacupiranha
6)fire eel
7)Plecos
8)alligater gars but they nip the fins sometimes
9)pardon sharks
10) tinfoil barbs
11) peacock bass
12)bichirs
Dont not keep shells, marbles and small decoration as they might get eaten and may result in death.
Use sand s a substrate.
Goodluck

rajatariqmustafa15

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 18, 2014
Pakistan
Hello everyone I am new to monsterfishkeepers.com and was hoping someone could help me out. I currently have a 19 inch hybrid spotted shovelnose redtail catfish (at least I think it is) Earlier today I noticed on the front left fin/barb some kind of growth with a split (pics attached) The fish is about 3 years old and this is the first issue that I have had with it. Has anyone seen this happen before? Any words of advice will be greatly appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
Yeah it could be a injury or a fungal infection. Treat your tank with salt but just a little but as we arent sure.what tank mates do you have?it could have scratched itself with the decorations but it looks like injury rather then a fungal infection.
tEll me if the fish is eating ts food properly. If it is give it foods high in protein so that it heals quickly Goodluck

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store